power steering Fluid change? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

power steering Fluid change?

I changed mine in my last two trucks due to typical Ford whine. Used a turkey baster to suck the reservoir dry, and did this again in one week. Used atf in one, power steering fluid in the other. Both fixed the issue. I did replace the rack twice in the atf truck, but I'm sure that was unrelated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've read mercon v is backwards compatible with mercon but not in all cases the Haynes manual suggest mercon v for transmission originally spec'd for mercon (mines a 96 mercon v wasn't available yet) it supposedly fixed TC shuddering issues with the mercon but still recommends mercon for t case and PS. I've read never to use mercon v in the 4405 t case there is a Ford tech video on it somewhere I run Castrol transmax (mercon/dexroniii )spec in my tcase and PS and mercon v in my transmission. It keeps the different kinds of extra fluid I have to bring when I go exploring to a minimum.But I'm wondering how different using a "power steering fluid" would be because my new pump still whines a bit and leaks just a little and I change it every six months. Btw pretty much any bottle that just says"automatic trans fluid" if you read the label is mercon/dexroniii spec. also one more tip i don't worry so much about brand because if it says it "meets or exceeds mercon v specs" then I have no problem going generic because it's basically the same thing in a different bottle I run Walmart super tech mercon v in my transmission and don't feel bad about it at all. Synthetic would be the only true upgrade worth the bigger $. but I change mine every year so running synthetic I don't believe is necessary in my case I have a trans temp gauge and auxiliary cooler and temps above 175 is what kills atf overtime and I run about 150/165 most of the time unless I'm in traffic or offroad which them iv seen it up to 195~210 but as long as it doesn't go above 230 I'm still sitting pretty.

These are religious questions, like which ATF is right/best, which motor oil is right/best, which bobble head for the dash is right/best. Devotees on any side will argue and bring out the holy book that begats truths. Always a fun read!

I have not yet changed the PS fluid in this '97 Explorer, but I put Valvoline Maxlife ATF in my '09 Camry a few years back and it was like butter for steering, no issues to date.

These are religious questions, like which ATF is right/best, which motor oil is right/best, which bobble head for the dash is right/best. Devotees on any side will argue and bring out the holy book that begats truths. Always a fun read!

I have not yet changed the PS fluid in this '97 Explorer, but I put Valvoline Maxlife ATF in my '09 Camry a few years back and it was like butter for steering, no issues to date.

I believe in Jesus for my soul and Amsoil for my rig. :burnout:

btw, Truth comes from the Spirit, not from a book.

I changed mine in my last two trucks due to typical Ford whine. Used a turkey baster to suck the reservoir dry, and did this again in one week. Used atf in one, power steering fluid in the other. Both fixed the issue. I did replace the rack twice in the atf truck, but I'm sure that was unrelated.

Thanks for the tip here.
I just now did this using about 2.5 qts of mobil 1 atf . Was like purplish grey matter before, nice and clear red now. I sucked it dry about 12 times total. suck fluid out with turkey baster pour in new fluid, run engine turning wheel lock to lock 2 times, shut off engine and repeat until what you suck out looks like what is going in.

The pump is slightly less noisy but the steering is remarkably smoother with much less effort. Good advice!!

I had good luck with the noise, but just did it as I got a super deal on fluid when my favorite mom and pop closed down. Very sad day. I miss going in and buying parts from someone who REALLY knew cars. Of course, I always ended up losing an hour to BSing with him, lol.

I have a trans temp gauge and auxiliary cooler and temps above 175 is what kills atf overtime and I run about 150/165 most of the time unless I'm in traffic or offroad which them iv seen it up to 195~210 but as long as it doesn't go above 230 I'm still sitting pretty.
I recently bought a 2000 Explorer XLS w/ 135k. I disconnected the return line from my PS cooler and drained as much fluid as I could. Reconnected; refilled with Mercon V (WalMart), bled air. Works much better. I hope to use it to pull a small utility trailer for a long-distance move. I've thought about adding a trans temp gauge/auxillary cooler to keep a close eye on the trans during the move. Could you share which temp gauge/cooler you added? Where installed? Difficulty level for a "murphy's law mechanic"?

I have a trans temp gauge and auxiliary cooler and temps above 175 is what kills atf overtime and I run about 150/165 most of the time unless I'm in traffic or offroad which them iv seen it up to 195~210 but as long as it doesn't go above 230 I'm still sitting pretty.
I recently bought a 2000 Explorer XLS w/ 135k. I disconnected the return line from my PS cooler and drained as much fluid as I could. Reconnected; refilled with Mercon V (WalMart), bled air. Works much better. I hope to use it to pull a small utility trailer for a long-distance move. I've thought about adding a trans temp gauge/auxillary cooler to keep a close eye on the trans during the move. Could you share which temp gauge/cooler you added? Where installed? Difficulty level for an aged-retired, "murphy's law mechanic"?

I recently bought a 2000 Explorer XLS w/ 135k. I disconnected the return line from my PS cooler and drained as much fluid as I could. Reconnected; refilled with Mercon V (WalMart), bled air. Works much better. I hope to use it to pull a small utility trailer for a long-distance move. I've thought about adding a trans temp gauge/auxillary cooler to keep a close eye on the trans during the move. Could you share which temp gauge/cooler you added? Where installed? Difficulty level for an aged-retired, "murphy's law mechanic"?

Believe me I'm VERY familiar with Murphy's law haha. For you for ease of installation and the added features I would look into a scan gauge 2 I know there is some tweaking involved to get it to access your factory trans temp sensor might want to pm Turdle on getting it to read trans temp I'm pretty sure he has one. Because I wanted an oil pressure gauge as well and was fine with the rest of the factory gauges I went with an auto meter explorer/ranger two gauge A pillar gauge pod and added auto meter sport comp oil pressure and trans temp gauge. You can also get the pod in single gauge set up. My set up wasnt hard just installed the temp sender in the pressure test Port on the side of the transmission, ran a single signal wire inside the cab and tapped into power and ground inside the cab the install is pretty straight forward there are instructions that come with the gauges with pictures. My set up and the scan gauge 2 costs roughly about the same. But although my gauge install wasn't hard the scan gauge two is much easier.

KIMG0093.JPG

You do get an added cool factor with the A pillar gauges though lol

bigred4x4: Your installation is definitely 1st Class! AND your suggestion to get the lazyman's "ScanGauge SGIIFFP Ultra Compact 3-in-1 Automotive Computer" is definitely "my speed" (I'm "retreaded"/retired/whatever...) "Thanks!" for the reply/suggestions. I'll report back once I've had $$/time to buy/install/tweak the ScanGauge.
(related comment from Amazon)

I used it in two different SUVs (Durango & Explorer) to monitor transmission temps while towing a travel trailer. You do have to manually add the code for the trans temp but not a big deal. Water temp is available already. I monitor water temp, trans temp, voltage and horsepower output while occasionally flip to MPG and AVG to compare against my on-board computer.

Thanks for the tip here.
I just now did this using about 2.5 qts of mobil 1 atf . Was like purplish grey matter before, nice and clear red now. I sucked it dry about 12 times total. suck fluid out with turkey baster pour in new fluid, run engine turning wheel lock to lock 2 times, shut off engine and repeat until what you suck out looks like what is going in.

The pump is slightly less noisy but the steering is remarkably smoother with much less effort. Good advice!!

I've noticed lately my pump is starting to get louder it's a reman replacement from ~2 years ago (also replaced lines and rack and pinion), I've sucked the fluid out of it several times and I'm getting the purple fluid you describe, I'm thinking about going to a different brand fluid maybe some full synthetic Mobil one, I've always liked that brand, the only thing I've changed lately is I added a skid plate up front that does block some air flow to the PS cooler, also installed a simple inline screen filter, because they where out of the magnetic type, probably going to change that too.

...your suggestion to get the lazyman's "ScanGauge SGIIFFP Ultra Compact 3-in-1 Automotive Computer" is definitely "my speed" (I'm "retreaded"/retired/whatever...)

FYI: AutoZone is having a sale of the ScanGauge II (online only) for only $119.99 through 12/31/17 (vs. $169.00 at the manufacturer's website). Seems like a good deal if the operating system is current (otherwise an additional $25.00 fee to mail in/have updated via the manufacturer.)

is there any threads telling you what hose to disconnect to get all the fluid out? I have not gotten around to looking at all the about power steering fluid flush. mine is a 2005. yes this is the wrong part of the forum.

You can use a fluid pump or a turkey baster to drain the reservoir, then refill with new fluid (Merc V). Then start the truck, and turn the wheel from lock to lock several times. Repeat the process until fluid has been completely refreshed.

Good luck.

Back