Power Steering Fluid Flush: 4.0 SOHC | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Fluid Flush: 4.0 SOHC

Engine running when you do this?

Do you do this procedure with the engine running?

I tried it both ways, and with the engine off, nothing happens, but with the engine on, the resevoir empties almost immediately without turning the wheel at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you do this procedure with the engine running?

I tried it both ways, and with the engine off, nothing happens, but with the engine on, the resevoir empties almost immediately without turning the wheel at all.

excellent question

The pump MUST be turning.
But I didn't want to do this with the engine running.
I pulled the coil connector (input) before doing this, so I had some time to top off the fluid, and should there be a leak, you can correct it before dumping a quart on the ground.
I took 3-4 runs on the starter, 5-10 seconds each.
Worked well.

I used a turkey baster to drain the reservoir and filled it to the top with MERCON V.
The whole thing took about 2 quarts to get clean fluid to come out the CLEAR return hose.

How much back-and-forth turning of the steering wheel does it take to flush the old fluid out of the system? Is it so much that the front wheels need to be off the ground? Or, can I do it without jacking the fron end up? Thanks.

pwr steering fluid vs. ATF???

just call me stupid, but if power steering fluid is just for power steering systems, and ATF is just for Automatic transmissions, then just what grade of fluid am I supposed to be using in my '95 ranger with a 5 speed manual because it sure wasn't 90wt gear oil! ......Oh!! Thats because the mfr put ATF in it at the factory! So should I be changing my "gear oil" or suing ford for letting some idiot smoke weed on his break and then finish filling my fluids. oh wait!!! I havent had a problem for 207k and counting. hope nobody take offense to my smart-assed nature.

Trannies are a lot pickier about the fluid used, I'd stick close to the stuff recommended, and bite my tongue.

Back