• Register Today It's free!

Power steering fluid flush.

jbond07

Reaction score
City, State
atlanta, ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer
While waiting for my dealer to do an oil/filter service, the Serive Advisor came in the waiting room with a contraption that purportedly showed the "state of my various car fluids" as compared to new fluids. Of course, all of mine were brown while the new fluids were nice and clean and, for the most pard, red. They told me the technician recommended that I have fluid flush and replacement done on my power steering fluid. Now I knw that as soon as you put in new fluid and drive the car for a few miles, the fluids are no longer nice and clean and red.
My question is: Is it valid to have this power steering fluid flush if you have had zero problems with your power steering? BTW, the vehicle has about 88K miles on it.
While i was there, I heard this same spiel given to 4 other customers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the under the hood section. While it's true that fluids in a vehicle aren't supposed to last forever, they push for a lot of things to make money. Your vehicle is only a few years old, so the fluid isn't in there that long. Check # 43 in my list of useful threads for more information: http://autos.aol.com/article/general/v2/_a/fluid-flush-fallacy/20060505115609990001

At almost 90 k miles, a fluid swap wouldn't hurt it. Do you have to do it? No.
BUT,
With your mileage, I would do it myself, and fill it with some good synthetic fluid. I use Mobil 1.. 10-w30 ATF in mine

it doesn't hurt to change the fluid, a quart of mercon V ATF, or any other brand ATF is like 5 bucks..

i did the gangsta power fluid flush.. using my handy siphon pump that i got from my local harbor freight tools for a cool 5 bucks..

93290.gif

i sucked out as much of the old power steering fluid out from the fill area, then refilled it with some ATF.. repeat the process a few times till the fluid is nice and red!

A turkey baster from the dollar store would work for the PS pump if this is the rout you take to change the fluids.

Removing the "OUT" line from the pump on the steering rack and running the pump dry is another.

Check my how to vids. Got a power steering one in there somewhere.

Back