power steering gone. what do i do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

power steering gone. what do i do?

jammin636

Reaction score
City, State
syracuse, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
k i just got my x running thanks to you guys, but now my power steering is totally gone and i have have fluid all over the ground. awhile back the filler cap popped off and it has been leaky and never the same since. it was sitting all summer and just doesnt work at all now. its leaking pretty bad from the bottom. is their anything i can do to fix it? when i had the rear jacked up to drop the tank it was leaking really bad, once its level it doesnt leak so bad. what should i do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get it back on level ground.....clean up the area.......make sure the fluid level is correct.....engine on, trans in park, wheels blocked.......turn the wheel side to side w/o coming to a full lock on either end (you could lift the frt slightly, be careful).......do it several times.....watch for bubbles......(drop it back down)check fluid level again, drive it around.....check for leaks.....if there is still a problem:

Check the hose and connections.......if that isn't the problem......maybe it's about time to replace the P/s hose and/or pump? Don't KNOW of a re-build kit.

Aloha,Mark

I just had to replace the seals on my steering gear because it was leaking real bad. It wasn't that hard. Autozone had the complete seal kit for $17.xx.

You need to determine were it's leaking from...pump, hoses, or gear.

Rob

how do i determine where its leaking from? im not familiar with the power steering pump so i dont really know what is what.

Good show........4x4Rob.....Did you need a special puller or something else..........or just regular tools enough?

IF you're limited or not sure about re-building stuff........check for a local pump......save the postage. BTW (internet price), p/s pump (AC Delco) is about $65 (take off $15 for the core).

https://www.rockauto.com/applet3.html

Aloha, Mark

PS.........general directions how to......http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/04/fb/52/0900823d8004fb52.jsp

To determine, "where the leak is?" You gotta look for it. Thus, clean up the area, test and look.

Squirt everything down with brake cleaner, top off the reservoir, start it up, and look for the leak. Pay particular attention to where the hoses attach to the pump. Could just be a loose fitting.

alright thanks guys. ill check it out

Back