Power Steering Loss 2015 - 2016 Explorers Only | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Loss 2015 - 2016 Explorers Only

I was wondering if it was only a code reset or if a major part needed to be replaced. Would appreciate your reply as I am quite worried this might take long to repair.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was wondering if it was only a code reset or if a major part needed to be replaced. Would appreciate your reply as I am quite worried this might take long to repair.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
So far there have been no reports as to a fix on the 2016 Explorer. For earlier models check out the link in post #3. Unfortunately the member you quoted was last active here on May 27th, 2016 so I doubt you'll get a reply.

Peter

Thanks so much for the reply. Thanks for your advise on the link. It was indeed helpful.

In my car's case, turning off the engine did not reset or recycle. The problem persisted up to the time I was able to bring it to the dealer. I took pictures of the dash which I attached. There is still steering failure so the dealer knows exactly what the problem is. I hope they replace the rack and pinion as was done in most vehicles in the thread. I hope too they have it in stock. If it needs to be imported from the US, I am in for a very long wait. Thanks again for your help.
q6BJjrlhTICYu74mo6wutA.jpg
q6BJjrlhTICYu74mo6wutA.jpg
s65ZJkVJRwGi1kL1cpITdg.jpg

9BfhC%i8SaWNjgY6IvrBFQ.jpg

Hi Guys,
I am sad to report that my 2016 3.5 Limited is most likely having the electric power steering failure. Steering is making a whining/growling noise when turned and the precision is not there in the way the car is handing. There is also a little more steering effort. No fault lights on the dash. Does anyone know if there is a recall on this? I am out of warranty so will probably seek an outside mechanic if there is no hope of Ford helping out with the repair. Also, does anyone know where a rebuilt steering rack can be purchased from in Canada? I know in there are rebuilt ones being sold with lifetime warranty in USA.

Have you checked with your dealer to see if anything can be done? There was a Recall for earlier models (2011 - 2013) but I don't recall anything for later years.

Peter

Dealer is saying I am on my own unfortunately!

This morning my power steering quit on me. I've seen the posts for this sort of issue on the 2011-2015 Explorers, but it also seems that the 2016s are also getting in on the action.

Symptoms were sticking or frozen column after being parked overnight, only to free up after wiggling the steering column. The feeling was as if you didn't have the key in the ignition and the column was locked (although it has keyless start). Once freed up it seemed fine over the weekend. It started in the ~20 degree weather this past Saturday.

Today I had all of the lights and warnings (steering fault, service steering NOW, no advance trac, etc...) so it is in the shop. In reading the posts, I must have the updated software because I had assist until the car was shut off, then no assist when I went to move it. Thankfully I already had an appointment to get it checked out.

We'll see what they come back with but it is disconcerting that this is not uncommon and it occurred with relatively low mileage (2016 w/ <35k miles).

^^ Your thread was merged with this existing one. Good luck.

Peter

Two weeks ago my 4 month old 2016 Ford Explorer completely lost power steering after the dashboard lit up like Times Square with multiple repeated faults and error messages. We had just entered a parking garage, proceeded about two car lengths past a speed bump (over which we had proceeded at about 3 mph), started to turn left and the steering wheel just froze! While in motion, I was not able to steer my vehicle. The wheel did not lock into place like with a click or such. It would move about a 1/2" to the right and 1/2" to the left but would not turn the wheels at all. I could move forward or reverse but only straight in front or behind. This meant I had to inch up to the car parked directly in front of me so that other incoming traffic could squeeze by. Only other option was to back up into a concrete pillar. After several minutes of cycling the key on and off, the steering would not return. I continued to receive the following faults/errors over and over:
Terrain Management System Fault
Service AdvanceTrac
Hill Assist Fault
After 30 minutes on the phone with Ford Roadside Assistance, who was proposing to tow my car to the nearest dealership and leave myself, my hubby and two young children stranded for the remainder of the weekend 2-1/2 hours from home, the darn thing finally freed up. At 2 a.m. we proceeded to drive very slowly, white knuckled all the way back home and did the same Monday morning in getting it to our local dealer.

They have had it for two weeks now and of course, none of the 30+ errors/faults ever recorded on the vehicle, so they have no clue how to fix it. I do not feel safe at all driving the vehicle since 98% of my driving is on 50-55 mph roadways. Odds tell the average person with common sense that the next time this happens, I will be doing 55 mph when I lose all ability to steer my vehicle. Service advisors insist that they need it to do it again but after driving it 40 miles, they haven't gotten it to do it. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with this unsafe vehicle. I do not plan on being the guinea pig driving it when it does this again. Yes, I'll be able to come to a stop but if I stop in the middle of the highway, I'll get plowed into and someone will be seriously injured if not killed.

Ford seems to be oblivious to this! Are they really suggesting that I drive it until it does it again, cross my fingers that I'm not killed and that codes will actually record this time? I'm so incredibly disappointed.

Has anyone else experienced this? Looking for a solution!
Yes, we are having the same problem. I was told they needed a new power steering rack. They are on backorder for six weeks. They cleared to code and let us take the Explorer and now a month later there was friction in the steering and had a local auto shop work on it. After a great deal of work, they deemed that the rack needed to be replaced too. Several week to wait for parts , they were going to have us take it, but while on a test ride , it locked up and put them into the ditch with body damage but no physical injury. We are trying to figure out our next move.
Owen C.

Yes, we are having the same problem. I was told they needed a new power steering rack. They are on backorder for six weeks. They cleared to code and let us take the Explorer and now a month later there was friction in the steering and had a local auto shop work on it. After a great deal of work, they deemed that the rack needed to be replaced too. Several week to wait for parts , they were going to have us take it, but while on a test ride , it locked up and put them into the ditch with body damage but no physical injury. We are trying to figure out our next move.
Owen C.
glad you were unscathed!!!

Back