• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Pump Fluid

MikeTEC

Reaction score
City, State
Central Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L
My 93 EB Explorer's owner's manual calls for using Dextron III/Mercon ATF when adding or changing the fluid in the power steering pump. Are there better fluid upgrades or should one stick with Dextron III/Mercon?Thanks Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am very happy with a change to synthetic ps fluid. All chatter has vanished.

I have gone to Mobil 1 ATF in my transmission. Since it is Dextron III/Mercon rated, wondering if it would be fine to use in my power steering pump. Would appreciate hearing from early 91-94 owners who have tried this. Thanks Mike

Want the real scoop

I would like to know if purpose-made PS fluid can be used in the 91-94's as well. My manual says:

"Use only power steering fluid that:
meets Ford Spec ESW-M2C33-F, such as Ford Premium Power Steering Fluid, E6AZ-19582-AA or an equiovalent Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid with a Ford registration number (an 8-digit number beginning with "2P" printed on the fluid container)."

So it sounds like ATF is the SAME as the "Ford Premium Power Steering Fluid"? ??

I have valvoline synthetic power steering fluid in mine. I changed it 2 winters ago because the pump would make noise until it got warm. It doesn't make noise anymore, and it hasn't given me any problems since...

Thanks Gimp, Rhett and Luke for your responses. My power steering unit is not having any problems, but has the original fluid in it since I bought the truck new in 1993. Just thought it might be a good idea to change to a synthetic since I have had such great luck with Mobil 1 oil which I switched to when it had 8K on it. Pulling a small trailer in hot Texas weather, synthetics are a plus. Mike TEC

Gimp: From some other threads I have read, I believe you are using Mobil 1 tranny fluid as well. Hope I have good luck with it too. I ended up adding 13 qts total to my entire system. Yes, my truck as the towing package and tranny cooler, which I drained as well. At 9 quarts, Iwas not able to touch the dipstick and the gears would not engage so I panicked. By adding 4 additional qts., it works fine now. Strange my owners manual says the transmission system holds 9.6 U.S. qts. Clearly, it holds more. I did not drain the pan, which I figure holds an additional 3 qts. Mike

Back