Power Steering Question

ERUSH97XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT, 03 XLT, 13 XLT
Hello,

Here's a general question regarding the power steering for my '97 Explorer (4.0 OHV):

Is there ANY way to quiet the noisy power steering? I just replaced the pump (with a rebuilt one from Cardone), flushed the old fluid, and bled the system with both a vacuum pump and turning the wheels as per the Ford Service Manual. I know from experience and reading around some that the Ford slipper style steering pump is notorious for the dull buzz at idle and whiny behavior at low speed, even after a thorough bleed.

My other Explorers are dead quiet, but I'm determined to silence my 97's: it's boring a hole in my brain, it's so annoying! It's functioning just fine, it's the sound that I want to fix.

I should also add that I replaced some of the fluid with Lucas's power steering additive. It has quieted down a little (maybe some placebo effect here), but it's not as quiet as I'd like (using the other Explorers' as a benchmark).

Any thoughts?

ERUSH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know that if you turn the steering wheel before the engine is started, you get that. The answer is to turn the wheel after several times after the engine has started. It purges the air out there fancy pants.

Bleads the system!

See, I did that, and it still moans a little bit. It's not horrible (like it would be if I needed to replace the pump), just annoying.

ERUSH

The whine is usually the pump going into bypass mode which recirculates fluid internally (that is within the pump). So I guess what you can do is open the pump and modify the "Flow Piston" to increase the pressure until bypass. Search Google for the "west texas pump mod" - just note that there is a risk of blowing out the pump if you increase the pressure beyond a certain limit.

Another cause for whine is fluid cavitation - which can be due to many factors such as the lack of fluid supply (small reservoir), and wrong fluid. The power steering system is fundamentally a hydraulic system and in general, power steering pumps do not have enough reservoir fluid - so a solution might be to increase the reservoir size.

have you tried any type of power steering conditioner in there? some of the stop leak products have a conditioning agent in them which helps the whining cease, or at least it did for me

Thanks for the tips!

I'm not planning on opening up the pump to increase the pressure: I'm a bit scared of blowing my pump up (as referenced in your google query). I do like the idea of increasing the reservoir size: I might try getting a remote reservoir from a later model and adapt it to fit mine (mine is right on the pump). This would increase the pressure a little bit at the pump inlet, thus reducing some cavitation (if that's what's happening).

As for additives, I've replaced 12 oz. of Mercon (yes, I use Mercon instead of Power Steering Fluid) with 12 oz. of Lucas Power Steering Additive (one bottle, with Stop Leak). Like I said earlier, that might have quieted it a little (placebo effect?).

I should also add that I've bled the system as follows (I wasn't too specific earlier):

1. I jacked the front end up.
2. Replaced my reservoir cap with a home-made stopper plumbed for my vacuum pump.
3. Turned the car on.
4. Applied 20-25 in Hg of vacuum. When doing this, the pump really moaned.
5. I turned the wheels lock-to-lock repeatedly, without holding against the locks, for about five minutes.
6. I relieved the vacuum and noticed what looked like a strawberry smoothie in my reservoir. This was HEAVILY aerated fluid. Once the vacuum was relieved, the pump became very quiet, until I turned the wheel. Then the typical buzz came around.
7. I let the foam dissipate, then repeated this process until the bubbles were minimal (this took about an hour).

I am confident that there is little (if any) air in the system, unless I have an air leak somewhere which doesn't leak fluid. Hopefully, the Lucas additive will minimize this. I plan to bleed some more this week to see if air is getting in the system.

Any more thoughts? Thanks again for the tips.

ERUSH

So,

I bled my power steering pump again today using the above procedure. The first go-around yielded no bubbles or foam in the reservoir, indicating that I have removed all the air from the system (or at least I think). Maybe I'll try again in a week after things have been jossled around for a while.

Any other thoughts as to why this dull buzz exisits? Maybe this is normal and I'm expecting too much from my pump. Like I said, my other Explorers' pumps are dead quiet, so I should at least be able to silence my 97's, right?

Unless I got a bad pump. . . could be.

Any other thoughts are welcome!

ERUSH

Good info here!
I've always worried about my noisy power steering (thinking that it's on its way out!).
Good to know that it's relatively normal!

I had similar noise/vibration and found that my PS reservoir was full of gunk. So I cleaned it out, installed an in-line filter, and replaced the two hoses that connect to the reservoir. I also drained the system and refilled with "Motorcraft QT-5-QMC Mercon V ATF/PS" fluid, and I have NO more noise/vibration. Wow -- go figure...

Attachments

• xt5qmc.jpg
    xt5qmc.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 2,620

Ok.

I've driven around a while to see if my Lucas additive has helped. It has (no placebo here)! I no longer get the whine of death when turning out of my driveway, just the typical buzz at idle. I'm ok with this, I just hated the noise when turnign my wheel one degree in either direction.

So, to recap, this is what I did (for those who look at this thread with a similar issue).

1. Replaced the Power Steering Pump with a Cardone rebuilt unit.
2. Completely flushed the system and refilled with Valvoline Mercon-V ATF. I went through about 8 quarts total.
3. Before starting the engine, I jacked the car up and turned the steering wheel lock to lock repeatedly.
4. Started the car and vacuum bled the system according to the Ford recommended procedure.
5. Replaced 12 oz. of Mercon-V with 12 oz. of Lucas Power Steering Additive + Stop Leak for extra lubrication/noise control.
6. Vacuum bled again.
7. Drove for about a week to let everything mix and circulate through the system.

Thanks for the tips!

ERUSH

Noisy Power Steering Pump

:exp:Sorry guys to bring this up again, but im a newbie to this just got a 1997 Explorer 5.0L from my uncle two weeks a go with a noisy power steering pump i know there are threads about this but does this also cover the 5.0L engine too, because all i see here on this thread about 4.0L

Can someone give me some input

Yep, it applies to the V8 steering pump as well

Thread Revival; Possible Solution?

Hello again,

My power steering pump still whines, as do most of our pumps, but I stumbled across a solution which allows the quieter and smoother Saginaw pump to be installed with little clearance grinding to the existing power steering pump bracket. See the link below from the Ranger Station:

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Fall2009/saginaw_pump.htm

After some research, this seems to be the only documentation of a "bolt-in" swap. Anyone out there have this style pump installed? If so, would you mind posting pics and tips regarding installation?

Thanks,

ERUSH

What the heck...

Ok.

I'm going to give this a shot. After much research and determination to get rid of the whiny, buzzy Ford P/S pump garbage, I'm going to purchase a rebuilt Saginaw power steering pump and document the install for others who are interested in this swap for their late model OHV. Cardone no longer stocks these pumps (20-6244), so I have to use Napa 816795. It's not cheap, but I know I'm getting a better, stronger, smoother, and quieter steering pump.

Stay tuned; I'll probably start a new thread for this.

ERUSH

Garbage!

No one has these pumps. Not even the no-name discount auto parts suppliers. They claim they're in stock, but all my orders have been cancelled due to pump unavailability. :mad:

Does anybody have a source or a core they'd like to sell?

This leaves the following options:

1. I've studied the subtle differences between the typical Saginaw P pump and the Cardone 20-6244, and I'm wondering If I can simply swap the ubiquitous shorter shaft found in the Saginaw P pump for the longer shaft found in the 20-6244 and fabricate the u-shaped adapter? Does anyone know of a power steering parts supplier that manufactures the shafts?

2. Ditch the stock power steering/air conditioning mounting bracket and fabricate one deigned to accept the Saginaw P or TC pump. The ideal route would be to use the SOHC pump to maintain some part consistency. I would prefer not to ruin the factory bracket so I have the option to return to the stock setup. This wouldn't be too difficult, but it would take some time and careful attention to detail.

3. What do you all think of the AGR replacement pump? Are these quiet (assuming I use the recommended PS fluid [not ATF] and bleed thoroughly)? I hear they are more powerful, but are they still of the slipper design, or did AGR convert them to the rotary vane design?

4. I s'pose I could get some ear plugs... :rolleyes:

What do you all think? I appreciate your input!

Regards,

ERUSH

3. What do you all think of the AGR replacement pump? Are these quiet (assuming I use the recommended PS fluid [not ATF] and bleed thoroughly)? I hear they are more powerful, but are they still of the slipper design, or did AGR convert them to the rotary vane design?
I'm pretty sure most pumps are vane, even your stock one.

Vanes on the P:
getfile.php

(from: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19310)

This is the back of my TC when it exploded due to overpressure (deadhead), vanes:
pump_open.jpg

Oh and RockAuto seems to have plenty of pumps in stock for your 97 OHV.

Thanks for the reply and pics, IZwack.

Both of your Saginaw pump pictures have the rotary vane design, but the OEM FoMoCo pump is of an inferior slipper design which is prone to overheating and failure.

I'd like to learn more about the AGR pump (doesn't require adapter fabricating :p:), because they claim to have modified it for increased pressure and flow. I'd like to know if this pump is significantly quieter than the stock Ford or a rebuilt pump.

Thanks,

ERUSH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back