• Register Today It's free!

Power steering question

mlp2435

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
When I turn the wheel to the right while driving I can hear a whining sound and can feel it in the wheel. It makes the noise while driving straight but not as loud and doesn't make it at all when I turn the wheel to the left. Any suggestions what this noise is? Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I turn the wheel to the right while driving I can hear a whining sound and can feel it in the wheel. It makes the noise while driving straight but not as loud and doesn't make it at all when I turn the wheel to the left. Any suggestions what this noise is? Thanks in advance

Have you tried cleaning out your power steering pump? I had a noise once and it just turned out to be that the fluid was all burnt up after running for 10 years. I would start there and see if that corrects your problem first.

From there I would check your belt and the power steering box pulley.

Fluid is up to the max level. I'll try flushing it and putting new fluid in

Flush it and if no go than it's probably going

Did a flush and the noise is still there. Only when I turn the wheel to the right and while driving. When stopped and I turn the wheel it's quiet. Think the rack is bad?

It's ford steering man...:)

Back