Power to Manual window conversion. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power to Manual window conversion.

Basslessbasshead

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
I recently messed up the wiring in the drivers side door installing some new door speakers and now my horn and all of my windows are paralyzed. They do not work. I am able to roll down the drivers side window by messing with the rubber grommet in the door gap and pressing the button. I do not have A.C. and at least need my passenger side window to work! SO.... I just need a way to covert the OEM window regulators to manual or I can remove them and replace them with manual ones but I've searched and none are made for my vehicle. SO.... Does anyone know a manual window for a different car that would fit? I don't mind drilling new holes in the metal if the bolts aren't in the right place but I would prefer not to. Oh after windows I plan on running new wires from the horn to a button (If I can find it!!) Then I'll work on the A.C. hopefully fixing it before next summer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! I could not find any for the 5.0 V8 explorer but I will try one out from the link and let you know if it works :thumbsup:

There might be other brands available. I just posted those to show that at least something is available besides used.

Seems sort of like the hard way to end up with a solution. It's a common fault to have the door hinge wire bundle develop frays and breaks eventually. You just get a new piece of wire and solder them back together.

Are you sure the speaker install did more damage or are you only attributing the problem to that because while you were manipulating the door a lot doing the speaker, it finally broke one (or more) of the already fraying wires?

iagoK9e.png

I don't know for sure but, are the Ford Ranger front doors similar?
The manual window regulators from that may work?

Back