Power Window problem...please take a look. :( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Window problem...please take a look. :(

94sportX

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 X Sport
Last year my drivers side window started acting weird. Sometimes it would fall down by itself, but it always seemed to go back up with the motor. Eventually, it fell down and wouldnt go back up, but you could still hear the motor running.

Anyway, I took it apart, and it was off the track. I put it back on, but then the motor seemed to not work at all. Tested it outside the truck on a 12v battery and seemed to work, put it back in the truck, but wouldnt work. Figured it was the switch. Bought a new switch, still nothing. Bought another motor, but got one that didnt work. Bought ANOTHER motor, hooked it up to the wiring harness in the truck, and it doesnt work.

My question is, if the motor and switch are OK, what would be the next thing to check? What else could be wrong? I'm going nuts here, I've had no window all winter long and it was COLD here in NY. Any ideas what I should check, or what could be wrong? Thanks guys, I'm counting on your advice! :(

Window motor

I assume you are checking for power at the connector plug to the motor and not at the switch. If not, it's possible the connector is burned or corroded inside & not making a good contact. From what you describe, it would have to be the wiring between the switch & the motor. If you are checking it with a meter, it's possible to have enough juice to read 12V on the meter, but not enough amps flowing to run the motor. This could be due to a pinched or corroded wire inside the insulation. try a jumper wire from the switch to the motor & see what happens. Good luck!

Back