power window slipping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

power window slipping

Reaction score
City, State
Carpinteria, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
I have a 1991 Explorer Sport. The passenger window rolls down sometimes but makes a slipping noise most of the time. if I give it some help it rolls down.I took the door panel off and it looks like the mechanism is surging. I'd like to be able to roll the window down from the driver seat. Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The window motor needs to be pulled out and the rubber gear plugs need to be replaced. If you do a search you can find the procedure. It is easy to do and the plugs are cheap. If it has never been removed before you may have to drill one hole.

Arco is correct , the stock bushings inside the motor get hard and brittle over time and tend to break , there will be enough material left inside the housing for it to work for a short time after they break , but once its been used enough the material will dwindle down to only chunks of plastic and will not move the window up or down , I have replaced the bushings myself and if it has not been done yet , you will need to drill one hole to remove the motor , but it is not very hard to do at all , there are good info and pics on here , just need to search ! .

Remember not to remove the forward most bolt that holds the regulator or the spring will let loose!

Some folks have lost their thumb doing this!

It does not have to be removed to get the motor out. It only looks that way.

Be careful, watch the vids and right-up's and you'll save yourself some major aggravation and maybe your thumb.

Ask me how I know... . ... I didn't loose the thumb but nearly broke the glass!

I left that bolt in and still have all my fingers.

Yep, that was it. pulled it apart and saw the bushings all chewed up inside the gearbox. I went down to autozone and got the new parts, put them in and it works! fairly easy fix. Thanks guys!

Back