• Register Today It's free!

Premium Sound system to JBL ???

linc6

Reaction score
City, State
Niagara Falls NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport
Hi , Everyone !!! This is my first post , hope you can help !! I have a '97 Explorer 2dr. sport with the premium sound system,no cd changer. I picked up a(don't have it home yet) JBL head unit and orig. cd changer w/console bracket, no amp or wiring though. So question 1;will the Jbl unit plug into the premium units plugs and work with the premium amp,if not ,what can I do to make compatable?or bother to! Question 2; what kind of wiring is needed from the head unit to the changer,will this wiring work on either head unit, JBL's or The Premium"s and where can I get it? Oh ya the JBL is also from a '97 Explorer too!! Any help,suggestions,places to find wiring diagrams,ect... would really help!!! Thank-you ,Gary

The JBL "head unit" does not contain the tuner or speaker amp, this is all housed in a rear control module.

The wiring involves lots of specialty plugs, but fortunatley these can be found in the wiring harness' that auto parts stores sell for adding an aftermarket head unit. (for the most part)

I do know that everything, including the changer, plugs into the rear control unit on the JBL system. I'm not sure if the vehicle is pre-wired.

I'm selling parts of a 97 JBL system here:
Dead Link Removed if you need parts.

Back