Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
How Much Could I Get

I am thinking about selling my 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4. I am not sure exactly how much I should ask; but I did Kelly Blue Book and it gave me about 12. I think I could get more since it's somewhat unique and there isn't another lifted Explorer around here in VA (i've only seen one and that was in Va Beach). Here is what came stock:

Stock:
4.0L SOHC w/ 5R55E Auto Trans, 3.55:1 gear ratio with under 70K miles. Everything is powered (windows, locks, mirrors, driver seat). No sunroof/moon roof. Has side steps (factory), has privacy glass. A/C with rear air controls. Has factory CD player. Cloth tan seats. White Exterior. Paint is in great condition (no scratches, dents, or rust).

Maitnance:
I have done oil changes regularly at 3,000 miles with penzoil 10w-30. I recently did a Transmission flush, changed fuel filter, lower right ball joint, right inner tie rod, and right outter tie rod end. Everything was done at the shop I work at including oil changes and parts that were replaced (all parts replaced -i.e. ball joints, tie rods - were replaced under warranty). Front brakes were recently done and the rotors were machined.

Mods:
-4" Trailmaster Suspension Lift (Ranger Kit) with a 3" Body Lift (7 inch lift) - finished both in August '04
-33x12.50xR15 Interco Super Swamper Radials (SSRs) - Brand New
-15x8 American Racing Diamond Backs - Brand New
-Dual Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust
-AutoPage Alarm, Keyless Entry, and Remote Start with pager and LCD remote (includes extra remote) - installed by Audio Visions in November of '04
-Chrome Differential Cover
-Blue L.E.D Underbodies with 10 different patterns
-Reverse Glow Gauges
-Eurodesignz D.O.T. approved bulbs for headlights and foglights
-5% tint in rear, 15% tint on driver and passenger side doors
-Billet Grille

---Spent about $6K in mods---

What I plan on finishing before selling:
-I plan on fixing the rear bumpers (have yet to do the bumper brackets so they will look like where they should be)
-I may reroute the exhaust due to the bumpers
-I plan on getting a Transmission Gauge put in a dual a-pillar gauge pod soon. Autometers Cobal C2 gauges to match reverse glow gauges (also getting another gauge, not sure what yet).

All I want is basically a price that I should ask for. I'm thinking at most 14 grand. I haven't had time to take it off-road, so it hasn't been beaten up or anything. It's in great shape, runs perfectly. Here is some pictures of the old tire/wheel package, but you get the idea:

464729_58_full.jpg

464729_55_full.jpg

464729_54_full.jpg

More pictures can be found on my website in my signature. Thanks for anyones advice on how much to ask. I'm not sure if I want to sell it yet - but I think I will eventually (atleast by this summer) since I will be going to school in VA beach and will need a "travel-able" car/truck. Thanks everyone.

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one has an idea?

bring it to indiana and i will trade you straight up for my 96:D

no really i think you could get 10-12k out of it, i think 14k is a little high, althought it looks extremely clean the market for lifted explorers isnt really that big

Actually you could get more if you returned it to stock than with the lift etc... People shy away from vehicles that have been modded because they are afraid of the abuse that it might have taken being offroad, even if it has not been offroad at all.

I am thinking about maybe selling it to my boss. I work at an auto shop and he will someitmes buy cars/trucks that have a blown trans and put a rebuilt one in it and then sell it. Makes a good amount from it. He might possibly buy mine or be able to trade him for a nice chevy yukon he's trying to sell. I'll have to talk to him. But I don't actually need a new car/truck til summer of 05. Thanks for the input. But 12 grand? KBB rated me at 11+ for it stock!

-Drew

12K is about right for the average buying (someone looking for a 2000 explorer). 12-14K is for a buyer looking for a 2000 X that is lifted... The problem always comes down to suppy and demand... You have the supply, but you need to connect with the right buyer...

Back