Pro-Comp Tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pro-Comp Tires?

Hey all, i'm going to be getting new tires sooner than later and would like your advice. I'm thinking about Pro-Comp AT's or MT's. The AT has a 50000 mile warenty and what looks like a decent tread. The price isn't all that bad, last time I checked 4wheelparts
had the AT's for about 100 and the MT for around 120, which isn't a bad price in my mind. I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with pro-comps? I wouldn't mind the AT since I drive it on road alot but I'm wondering about how well it performs off road, I don't want a glorified passenger car tire. Anyway just looking for opinions!

Thanks!!
CP :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're having a hard time deciding between the AT and MT, get the XT! Great tire that has good features of both.

Good timing.. 4wheel parts is having another buy 3, get 1 free on Pro Comp tires. The MT is siped for better street manners... I considered Pro Comp tires back when buying mine. (PS... Pro Comp tires are made by Cooper)

I'll deffintily look into the XT Alex...sounds like a good possibility. The only main concern with the MT is of course wear. I do drive alot back and forth to my parents on the weekends (80miles one way). I didn't know about the buy 3 get 1 free sale...I was hoping to find one. For those of you with MT's how do they wear? I'm assuming that the XT might last alittle longer.....hmmmm

Later

i had 33" MTs on my ramcharger and i loved em, got about 60,000 out of them

What's this the Xt's only have a 2-ply sidewall. I would expect more.

I didn't tear mine, and abused the he11 out of them.

Well I have just become aware of something called sidewall flex and after seeing it in person I am being more cautious in my tire choices. 3-6 ply would be preferable

Originally posted by AlaskanJack
Well I have just become aware of something called sidewall flex and after seeing it in person I am being more cautious in my tire choices. 3-6 ply would be preferable

6 ply tires? You sure you're not thinking of tread ply? The THICKEST i've heard of sidewall plys is the BFG Krawler with 4. My tires are load range 'C' so I think they're a 8 ply tread, 2 ply sidewall

Well you got me on that one...........I'm Stupid!!

The one reason that I would not buy the XT is because you cannot correctly rotate them. I will agree though, they do look awesome and probably perform rather well.

they dont make the XT in a 32x11.5 :(

ive been lookin into the recent sale for tires too. I really want the Pro-Comp MT's... but the Xt's look better and everyone here is saying they perform better? i wish they had my size!

PLUS... PRO- COMP tires say EXPLORER in whitewall ;)

Originally posted by sk1er17
PLUS... PRO- COMP tires say EXPLORER in whitewall ;)

They do!? I wasn't aware of that. Course I have never actually seen a pro-comp tire in person either.

all radial tires (other than BFG) are 2 ply unless they are E load rated. you gotta understand, ply rating and actual amount of plies in the tire are 2 different things. 6 or 8 ply rated tires are only 2 ply on the sidewall.

I'm really happy to hear that Tat2DExplorer got 60000 miles out of the MT's....i'm deffinlty leaning that way now. Unfortunatly my truck is geared pretty high so the true height (30.5" according to 4wheelparts) is probably as big as I can go for now. I'm thinking about hitting the junk yard this december to try to find a new axle/pumpkin with lower gears so can do a swap. Don't know though, that's my plan. I keep going farther away from the subject of tires :)...but i'd like to get an axle with disk's on it but i'm not sure about the conversion from drums....anyway thanks for all the help!!

later

Back