Problem after power steering installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem after power steering installation

Mitsuevo8

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 ford explorer 4x4
I just installed the power steering pump in my 94 ford explorer.

After installing i turned on the car and when i completely steered to the left or right the car seemed to lift up from the ground as if the axle was rising.

Could somebody help please?!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The rising/lowering effect is mostly due to the steering axis on each wheel (caster, kingpin inclination, etc..) - which is normal.

When we were running very little caster I could lower the passenger side enough that vertically challenged people could get in much easier.

Now that I have a bunch of caster and extended Radius arms it doesn't do it quite as much..

I still use that to my advantage. I always turn the wheel all the way left so the truck will lean to the right some when I fill it up with fuel. It makes it easier to get more fuel in without having to let it go in slow.

~Mark

Thanks the help is much appreciated!

Only concern is that this didnt happen before. It only started after installatin of new power steering pump.

Thanks the help is much appreciated!

Only concern is that this didnt happen before. It only started after installatin of new power steering pump.
Did you have a tire or two in the air by any chance during the pump swap procedure? Because if you did and you havent rolled the vehicle forward yet, then the tires are being pushed outwards / stressed by the TTB arms (since the arms move in an arc). So try rolling the vehicle a few feet and then try again.

Did you have a tire or two in the air by any chance during the pump swap procedure? Because if you did and you havent rolled the vehicle forward yet, then the tires are being pushed outwards / stressed by the TTB arms (since the arms move in an arc). So try rolling the vehicle a few feet and then try again.

Rolling it forward and then backwards is unloading the suspension.. This is something you have to do when your messing with the front suspension and your trying to align it yourself. Sometimes you have to roll it a good 20 feet each way.

I made my own camber plates which allow the suspension to unload without having to move the vehicle around. I just took some sheet metal and cut it into four pieces of 18"x18". I put bearing grease between 2 pieces, put it under a tire and then do the same for the other. When you set your tires on (or drive onto) the sheets you will see the suspension relax and the tires will move out some.

~Mark

Then it is unrelated. Changing the power steering pump will have no affect on the steering geometry which means it has no effect on the lean of the truck as the wheel is turned.

Your not seeing what you think your seeing (coloration/causation).

~Mark

Back