• Register Today It's free!

Problem Changing Oil

jweb1369

Reaction score
City, State
Panama City, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
I changed my oil like normal. Pulled the drain bolt, and took off the old filter. Once the oil stopped draining, I put the bolt back on and installed the new filter. I added about 3 1/2 quarts of high mileage pennzoil, and proceeded to check the oil level via the dipstick. I checked it first without starting the truck, then again after I started the truck. The reading was WAY over full.

So, I took about a quart out. Checked reading again, the same... WAY over full. It didn't even look like the level went down. I drove it around the block and check again, the exact same. WAY over full. I don't want to completely drain it again... I know the amount I pulled out has to be more than I put back in.

Every car I ever changed oil on took at least 5 quarts. I used to drive a mitsubishi eclipse and it took a little over 5 quarts, and the engine was much smaller. By WAY over full I mean like two more of the hatched (marked) parts higher. I'm dumbfounded. What the hell is going on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try draining again? maybe there was a hunk of debris blocking the drain hole?
stranger things happen.

Check the transmission fluid maybe you drained that by mistake.

what did you do with the initial drained oil??????? You should always funnel it back into the jug that was used for the oil that you just put into the engine... this way you can tell what's happening and also that way you have a container to transport the oil in before you dump in down the drain .... :) NOT

I thought that I might have made a mistake by draining the wrong oil, but it can't be. When I drained it completely and filled it back up, then I went and let some more out of the same drain bolt and it was clean oil coming out (what I had just put in). My mom had her oil changed at big10, and she asked them about mine and they said it could be that the wrong dipstick is in it. That it should take 5 quarts if it was drained completely.

So basically, I'm just going to put the rest of the 5 quart jug in it and forget what the dipstick says. Maybe I'll go buy another one for my vehicle. This sounds crazy though if it was the wrong size dipstick because what the hell were the mechanics going by the entire time I was having my oil changes before....?

The ****ty thing is that I have drained a bunch of the new oil out and have no way of knowing how much is actually in there right now. I guess I'll empty the 5 quart container into it, then fill it up with what is in the pan. However much it is over, that is probably how much extra I need to go buy. I'm guessing I need another quart or so.

Does anyone have a 1999 SOHC that can measure the length of the dipstick for me?

Go to a junk yard and get a new one. My 2001 V8 takes exactly 5 qt with new filter. In my manual says that your engine (SOHC 4.0L) should take exactly the same ammount of 5W30 oil.

It's just really weird. I mean the oil dipstick looks stock. It has the same writing and color as the oil cap. I am probably going to pick one up from Ford. For some reason there aren't many 1999 explorers in the junk yards in my area. Last time I checked them a few years ago, I only could find one explorer and it wasn't the same year.

I poured the rest of the oil (about 1.5 quarts) into the truck, then filled the empty bottle up with what was taken out. It was just a tad over 5 quarts. That means there was probably only around 4 quarts in there before and only about 4 quarts in there now since I initially took out about a quart of the new oil.

Should I add one more quart of oil? Is it okay to only run with about 4 quarts?

I have exactly the same problem. Bought a used X w/4.0 SOCH. I mmediately changed the oil and filter putting in 5 qts (including filling the Motorcraft filter). When I was done I started the engine and checked for leaks then checked the dipstck which indicated at least 1.5 qts over full. I then measured how much oil I drained out (including what came out of the filter) and it measured 4.7 qts. I checked the owner's manual and the internet and everything says 5 qts w/filter. WTF? I remarked my dipstick and I'm assuming it must be the wrong one for my engine, but I still puzzled. I've been changing the oil on all my families vehicles for the better part of 50 years and I've never encountered this before.

I have exactly the same problem. Bought a used X w/4.0 SOCH. I mmediately changed the oil and filter putting in 5 qts (including filling the Motorcraft filter). When I was done I started the engine and checked for leaks then checked the dipstck which indicated at least 1.5 qts over full. I then measured how much oil I drained out (including what came out of the filter) and it measured 4.7 qts. I checked the owner's manual and the internet and everything says 5 qts w/filter. WTF? I remarked my dipstick and I'm assuming it must be the wrong one for my engine, but I still puzzled. I've been changing the oil on all my families vehicles for the better part of 50 years and I've never encountered this before.

Yeah I'm just dumbfounded. Mine had to be around 3 quarts with a dipstick reading of like 3 quarts over full, which would be like 8-9 quart total. That is a big jump haha. I'm going to call ford tomorrow and find out the length of the dipstick and marker height. Hopefully they can get the part and measure it for me, or just look it up.

Please let us know if you can find out anything from Ford regarding the "correct" dipstick length/markings (I don't think the length is the problem, as if it was too long it would be hitting the bottom of the oil pan). In any event, I suggest you put in the 5 qts as it's the oil capacity recommended in the owner's manual. You' be okay with only 4 qts, but oil is used to cool and well as lubricate the engine and if you only have 4 qts you don't have a reserve to burn/leak between oil changes.

Make sure the dipstick is removed when changing/adding oil.

Why is that?

Tom, I read up on it a bit in the owners manual the other day (there is a sticker on the radiator support that tells you to pull the stick), and it said something about the oil not draining down.

I have never pulled the stick out when draining oil, or ever heard of doing this. I guess I can imagine what you're saying, but I always pull the oil cap off and it should do the exact same thing right?

I checked my oil today after driving it all day yesterday and to class and back today. You can actually read the dipstick! I wonder if it just hadn't settled into all the parts. That just seems so odd, because I had cranked it and let it run for like 5 minutes. I even drove around the block and it didn't affect it. The whole time the oil was HOT. I know this because when I drained a bit out it was nearly burning my hands. However, today it magically allowed me to read the level. It looks to be exactly half way to full. Should I take it up higher than that?

I called Ford and the guy said I have the correct dipstick. He told me to just fill it up with 5 quarts after draining it. Here is what my dipstick looks like:
photobucket-3677-1318276270016.jpg

You can check and see if you have to correct dipstick by checking your dipstick serial number located near the handle engraved into the metal. The serial for a 1999 Explorer 4.0L SOHC is 6750. There are going to be other letters and numbers, but 6750 is present somewhere in the middle. To find a different serial number look them up at http://www.fordparts.com and search for oil dipstick. Find the one for your model and it should tell you the 4 digit number that should be on your stick.
photobucket-5463-1318276300200.jpg

For the record, I have never changed my own oil (and I have always gone to the quick lubes). I have seen them remove the Oil dipstick while changing out the old oil and adding new oil. I've always wondered why since unlike adding trans fluid with a funnel into the small hole, they have the oil cap opening. It must be to allow the new oil to properly drain down. BTW, I own a Ranger.

This may sound like I'm being sarcastic, but is a legitimate question. Did you wipe the oil off the dipstick and check again, or did you just pull the stick and look at it?

"operator error"....:) whether you remove the stick or not during filling / draining... it doesn't matter BUT you have to remove the stick, wipe it off AND then reinsert it AND then reread it carefully thereafter. IF you have run the engine at all (which you have to do to do the check pressure and such), your stick will have "residual oil falling on it" from the upper engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This may sound like I'm being sarcastic, but is a legitimate question. Did you wipe the oil off the dipstick and check again, or did you just pull the stick and look at it?

Of course. When I check the oil, I usually check it 3-4 times to be sure.

Back