Problem with power steering? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem with power steering?

erikvanden

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford
My explorer makes a whining noise when I turn the steering wheel. It has been doing this for over a year but now it seems to be doing it all the time. It also feels like I need to put in a bit more force in when steering on my end at times. The car still turns and steers fine though and I don't need to add much more force. I assume this issue is related to the power steering but I am not familiar with power steering systems as I have never had an issue with one. Any help? It is more of an annoyance than anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

May be to power steering pump starting to go. I would just keep driving it until it fails if the sound doesn't bother you. But that's just me.

PS whine is a common problem. Shouldnt affect the steering at all, just ford making loud pumps. Replace if it bothers you too much - youre only option really. Mine is loud as hell can hear it down the block!

is the pump inexpensive and fairly easy to replace? if it is I don't mind doing it.

I actually took mine in last year for a quote, it was about $329 for a new pump installed. That was in portland, oregon.

Its a common thing with fords for the pump to whine. Even new ones do it. The hardest part of replacing it is to bleed the system and its not too hard just Jack the front end up after you replace the pump. Than fill the fluid up turn lock to lock a few times and repeat a few times with the car off than do it with the car on a few times than keep an eye on it for the little bubbles to clear out

you can change the fluid a 100 times, the problem is the pump itself.

also, dont turn the wheel when the tires are off the ground...

Back