• Register Today It's free!

Problem with power switches

davemengel

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
So the other morning I went to clear my windshield with my washer fluid and it wouldn't spray. This switch is already hinky so I thought I would just go without. Now yesterday my power windows ceased to function from the driver's side door. Passenger window still works with that switch. Also the door lock switch is still functioning. I've checked the fuses and they are fine. (Cigarette lighter fuse was blown) This is on a 98 Sport. What are the chances these problems are related?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is a great question im led to beleave the washer not woorking is in the multy function switch. mine doesnt work either and there isnt any power to the conector at the wash pump when activated. as for the windows it must b in the main door swsitch take it out and clean the conections first it got mine working again

So the other morning I went to clear my windshield with my washer fluid and it wouldn't spray. This switch is already hinky so I thought I would just go without. Now yesterday my power windows ceased to function from the driver's side door. Passenger window still works with that switch. Also the door lock switch is still functioning. I've checked the fuses and they are fine. (Cigarette lighter fuse was blown) This is on a 98 Sport. What are the chances these problems are related?
Check for broken wire/s in the driver side kick panel up to the connector on the door.

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna pull the door panel tomorrow to fix a pesky door lock actuator so I will get at the window switch and get the multimeter on the wires. I'm hoping to not have to replace the multi function switch but if that's what it takes. I was initially excited when I checked the fuse diagram and saw then on the same fuse but then the uttermost disappointment when the passenger switch worked. After that only about 12 other things to fix. lol

Now to add to my problems my battery indicator light is on. The battery is only about 6 months old and my gauge is showing a full charge...what the hell is going on with my electronics?

Now to add to my problems my battery indicator light is on. The battery is only about 6 months old and my gauge is showing a full charge...what the hell is going on with my electronics?

Battery light means that your alternator is not charging. The gauge shows the charge level in the battery; new battery is still good enough to run your engine, but it is not being replenished by alternator.

Check for broken wire/s in the driver side kick panel up to the connector on the door.

Could also be broken wire in wire bundle between door and body.

Thanks fellas. I tracked down the window problem..broken lb/bk wire between the door. Battery light has gone out. Now my driver's side door will not unlock or open. I managed to manually pull the door lock up and unhooked my door lock actuator so it doesn't auto lock. This has all happened within 4 days.... I have two wheel hub bearings, upper and lower ball joints and a cv axle to install this weekend. Must be that I'm creeping up on 100,000 miles. Gotta get all the breakage in before the milestone I guess. Thanks for all the help.

Back