Problems with 1998 Explorer NEED HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problems with 1998 Explorer NEED HELP!

Chelsae

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 1998 Explorer XLT. Every once in a while when I have the AC & I'm turning it tries to stall. Also I was parking it yesterday & put it in park, it wouldn't stop reving up so I had to shut it off, it will only do it in park. It's almost like the gas peddle is stuck or something but I had it check & it isn't. I just bought this a few months ago to replace a PT Cruiser that I was dumping money into, hopefully this doesn't turn out to be the same way. Any help would be nice!

I have a 1998 Explorer XLT. Every once in a while when I have the AC & I'm turning it tries to stall. Also I was parking it yesterday & put it in park, it wouldn't stop reving up so I had to shut it off, it will only do it in park. It's almost like the gas peddle is stuck or something but I had it check & it isn't. I just bought this a few months ago to replace a PT Cruiser that I was dumping money into, hopefully this doesn't turn out to be the same way. Any help would be nice!
I would go to a local auto parts store and have them check for any codes. Is your check engine light on, does it light up when you turn the key on? Could be a defective throttle position sensor. Does the vehicle stumble, or balk when driving? The throttle valve/intake could need cleaning. Of course, theres always the possibility the engine computer is defective. Just throwing ideas out there.

Might as well go through there and do a run-up on the TPS, IAC valve, MAF and what not. And I agree with Dewey the throttle body should have a proper cleaning as well.

I would go to a local auto parts store and have them check for any codes. Is your check engine light on, does it light up when you turn the key on? Could be a defective throttle position sensor. Does the vehicle stumble, or balk when driving? The throttle valve/intake could need cleaning. Of course, theres always the possibility the engine computer is defective. Just throwing ideas out there.

My Dad is a GM mechanic so he tested for a code, the only thing that came up was about my leaky fill tube. He thought maybe I should do a tune up because it's now skipping.

Back