Problems with One-piece CCFL Headlight install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problems with One-piece CCFL Headlight install

Greg_DonWindsor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Limited V8 4x4
Hi guys,

recently purchased a pair of Eagle Eye one piece "halo" projector style headlights. I had made my decision on which aftermarket light to purchase based on extensive research on this forum, and settled on the set due to the following post by 410Fortune:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142851&page=27

I removed the old headlights, and installed the one piece new headlights without too many issues, mine came with an HID and ballast kit to replace the low beam H3 style bulb. All connectors hooked up and then powered on the truck to troubleshoot. I had a few problems:

With the HID bulbs in place:
- I have no daytime running lights
- The halos do not light up
- The LED signal lights do not light up
- The headlights no longer come on automatically when it gets dark out
- The autodim feature is non-responsive (adjustment on rear view mirror)
- The instrument cluster now fails to illuminate (speedometer, tach, etc.)
- Fog lights now do not light up

To see if the HID bulbs/ballast was the culprit, I removed them and replaced the H3 style bulbs:
- The low beams now automatically come on as a daytime running light
- Still no halos
- Still no LED's
- Still no automatic headlights when it gets dark
- Still no autodim
- Instrument cluster fails to illuminate when the headlight dash switch is switched to "on" position
- Still no fog lights

I am deeply confused as to why something so simple could effect so many of the other functions, and am particularly frustrated with the lack of instrument cluster lights. All fuses related to lighting were checked, and none were found to be blown.

If anyone has any experience with similar lights or knows how I could go about troubleshooting these problems, the help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Greg

Back