Does anyone know how to unhook these wires coming from transfer case motor. Check out pic. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone know how to unhook these wires coming from transfer case motor. Check out pic.

rickyd123

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer xlt
I unbolted my transfer case motor. There are wires leaving it going to the transfer case. The only way I can see to possibly unhook them is to take the back of the transfer case off, but I'm not sure that will work. I watched a YouTube video that talked about removing an insert from the plug and taking the individual wires out. In the video they were working on a 1995 ford explorer. Mine is 1994 and there is no insert in the plug. I'm completely lost.
There are two wires coming from the motor and going to the transfer case. One is blue the other is brownish. The blue one has a housing and it spins freely on a base. They cannot be removed from their plug in any way I can see.

IMG_2022-06-24-09-16-22-465.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure, but this may answer your question.

" I took the advice of one of your contributors and didn't cut the brown wire. The wire can be easily remove, as he said, from the harness by removing the red center ring with needle nose pliers. Once the ring is removed gently insert a small thin screwdriver between the black tab and the brown wire pin and pull on the wire from the back of the harness. I also did this with the green and blue wires from the transfer case sensor. Wasn't sure how the sensor came out of the transfer case, pull on it a little but it wasn't moving, though it best just to remove the wires from the harness. (Just write down the color of the wires they're next to so you can reinsert them correctly). '

That is what they did in the YouTube video. They were working on a 1995 Explorer. Mine is a 1994. The red center ring can't be removed on mine. I've tried I watched the YouTube video closely and my red ring plug thing is different. I don't know what I'm going to do. I've tied the motor to the frame so I can still drive it.

You can always cut the wire, and then splice, solder, heat shrink… even add wire if necessary and then splice. if your connections are well done, (and this is not really that complicated or difficult), there is really no loss.

Good luck.

I called NAPA. The guy there told me I need a Terminal Extractor tool kit to remove the pins. I ordered one from Amazon. It'll be here in a couple days. I'll see then.

REALLY good info on how to do it in this thread. One part talks about how to do exactly what you’re wanting to do. Transfer Case BW 1354 Ford Explorer Ranger Maintenance
*edit* I see I posted the same link Rick posted. All the info you could need is in there, please read it. You don’t need a special tool. If it were, me I’d just cut the wire.

You un pin the wires from the connector, they remain on the t case while you take the motor

the red keeper WILL come out of the wire plug!! Use a pair of forceps or small pliers
The red plastic thing is the keeper, it keeps the pins locked on all of the wires
Once the red plastic keeper is removed you can lift the locking pins with something small like a pick, then pull the wires out the backside.
Take note of their locations

otherwise just cut them and they can be re soldered or butt spliced back together later

good work thus far!!!

Here's a picture of the plug. There is no keeper to remove. In 1995 they changed the plug, and added a keeper that can be removed. Mine's a 94 and this is what I have to work with. The picture is a little blurry, but there is no keeper to pull out. I need something to slide around the oddly shaped red ring in the center to release the tabs that are holding it in place. at least that's my guess at this point. I am not even close to resolving myself to cutting the wires. I hate that idea.

IMG_2022-06-27-11-36-09-383.jpg

The NAPA “terminal extractor tool” looks like just about like a common pick ... I think.
9DCB2CF3-3908-456A-9645-40243336F218.png

the red center piece IS THE KEEPER
that part indeed does come out of that plug
then you will be able to lift the fingers up and unlock the wire pins

But you better remember which wire goes where….

I’m guessing you didn’t read the link that was shared to you.

I got one from a you pull wrecking yard and cut the wires that attached to the transfer case and took it to a mechanic that does work for me that is over my head. He showed me how to remove the wires. Mr. Alligator showed a pick and that is what he used. His pick was bent at an angle at the end. He used on the red insert and the tabs that hold the plugs in. It worked great. I have replaced my shift motor and my button shifts my explorer into 4wd again. Thanks for all the help.

Well done! Good work. And thanks for getting back with the solution.… it helps make this site great.

Have fun and drive safe.

Back