How to: - Project Frankentranny - A4LD / 4R55E / 5R55E Hybrid Project | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Project Frankentranny - A4LD / 4R55E / 5R55E Hybrid Project

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
This is a cool topic just a few questions

Hi Brian, Glacier991 and others
I was just wondering if these mods would work on a 1992 Aerostar Electronic AWD A4LD 4.0L?
Also it might be helpful to include a excel document of parts used and parts modified.
Have you thought about editing this topic into a easy to follow manual?

thanks for all the work you guys have done on ford trannies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Brain. I have a 5r55e trans and the pump is gone and need to be replaced. Can I used the bellhouseing and pump and the first drum from an 4r trans to the 5r trans and it work? Thanks mailesend

You know what I just realized looking at this again? Ford cheaped out on the passenger car A4s. I have taken apart 4 of them in recent times to find things like this:http://www.explorerforum.com/data/500/2713306_4R_race.JPG not there! GD it! I wonder what that does to longevity? I also noticed that my rear 4 pinion planets are different than the A4 you show. Stupid Ford. You still in Golden Brain?

just wanted to say thanks for all your time and effort in this great series of posts!

I am in school to become a licensed mechanical engineer. A key engineer that formally worked for Ford in the design of the 5R55E teaches sophomore classes at my college.

I have always been enthuestic about the design of the automatic transmissions and was excited to learn that he teaches at my college.

I am planning on going into his office and asking him a list of question I have for him concerning the design and development of the 5R55s. If anyone wants me to ask him a question concerning the design and development of the transmission, such as "why was this done", "why did you not to this way", etc. post here and I will ask him when I visit him and reply.

Thanks.

I am in school to become a licensed mechanical engineer. A key engineer that formally worked for Ford in the design of the 5R55E teaches sophomore classes at my college.

I have always been enthuestic about the design of the automatic transmissions and was excited to learn that he teaches at my college.

I am planning on going into his office and asking him a list of question I have for him concerning the design and development of the 5R55s. If anyone wants me to ask him a question concerning the design and development of the transmission, such as "why was this done", "why did you not to this way", etc. post here and I will ask him when I visit him and reply.

Thanks.

Sure Mike, ask him why they set the cooler bypass circuit so high, at 150-175 degrees? I'm about to disable that circuit, so i can get my fluid temps down well below 150. Regards,

Sure Mike, ask him why they set the cooler bypass circuit so high, at 150-175 degrees? I'm about to disable that circuit, so i can get my fluid temps down well below 150. Regards,

Good question. I have thought about that myself as well. I have always thought it was for economy, perhaps there is less drivetrain friction when the fluid stays warm such as in the winter? Regardless, I'll ask.

btw, I created a new thread so this one does not get (even more) cluttered with simi-unrelated content.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305025

Hey Brian, I am putting together a turbocharged 4cylinder ranger engine with an a4ld. Is the machine work that you did necessary or can this same mod be done and roughly the same results come without it? I have no lathe, and wouldn't know how to use it if I had it.

Thanks!!!

Thanks and AWE to the great Glacier and large Brain!!!
(and several other of you contributors as well)

I have an 89 Ranger with 2.9L out and inprocess of rebuilding. Have that A4bellhousing and TC staring out at me from under the firewall just begging me to dive in. But I'm one of those shade tree guys that's comfortable with engines - terrified of autotrannies.

For the past three days I've done nothing much but read these two threads beginning to end. WOW!!! I think I'm empowered to really consider pulling the A4 out, teardown and rebuild and maybe even doing the 5R upgrades. Have the standard tools and instruments needed, including lathe. Haven't started looking for specialty tools yet, but wondering Glacier if you ever went foward with the tool loaner program? If so, I'm very much interested in the arrangements you outlined. Please email or reply - assuming you are still intersted in this stuff.

Hope you guys are still well and enjoying life!

I just read through every page and wow it's allot to take in. I feel bad for asking this but has anyone considered an step 1 step 2, option list and part numbers list for building the best A4 trans possible. I want all of the 5r55 good stuffed into a no computer A4.

Ok I'm heading back to page one with a pen and paper to start putting together a list. Thank you for this great write up.

Ok just got done with my second time through and made a list. I will post it if anyone wants me to? I do have a few questions after reading all this a second time.

1 it was mentioned the 5r55n out of a lincoln ls or jag had better internals?

2 If so can it seems you can take all the guts from either of those and swap the case bearing races and put all the 5r55 guts into the a4 case using the a4 governor to do most of the shifting?

3 with the a4 that has electronic 3-4 shift and tc lockup can you activate those your self applying 12-13v power to them with like say a toggle switch or push button ( I know generic. However I would adapt the how with the information on what is needed to make them work.)

Ok that is all I hope this is on topic enough if needed I would be happy to start a new thread.

Thank you to all who share information on this forum and others like it.

W, S, N interswap..... yes and no. Candidly I was DEEP into this stuff and a woman entered my life... and have not stayed really current since, but there were some essential non-swaps as I recall.

As for backward swap of 5R guts into an A4LD, that is a definiite NO. The best A4LD was the 1993. SOME, again SOME
4R55 parts might backwards fit. FEW. It's maybe impossible to build a really strong A4LD (compared to say a 4R70W - which can be built really strong!).

Brain's Frankentranny thread was bordering on genius.

That would be a greatly appreciated assist. Many guys wrote me and asked me to write them a parts list. Sorry... just wasn't into giving away hours more labor for free - after the many hundreds. If you could do that, it would be a major step forward. Plan on a week of work you give away.

I just got done with a frankentranny build. Although its not installed yet in the truck it's going in. Every thing went smoothly. I didn't add extra clutch packs to mine but still went completely 5r guts on the rest. I'll report back once mine is up and moving around in my 91

Well this is not a part number list however this was all I could gather reading through this post a second time. If anything is incorrect I hope a mod can edit or please post if something is wrong here

1: Modify back of bell housing to mimic 5r bell (some milling or grinding required)

2: Use 4r or 5r separator plate

3: Use 4r/5r pump gears

4: Use 5r pump

5: Use 5r overdrive pump

6: Optional Machine 5r OD piston for extra friction plate

7: Clearance inside of planet carrier for retainer to carrier clearance

8: Use 5r ring gear and sprag

9: Use full retainer ring like on OD clutch pack

10: Optional Machine separator plate for extra clutch pack

11: If doing step 10 use thinner .065 metal plates from A4 clutch pack (to give more room for more friction plates than the 5r .081 metal plates)

12: Use 5r forward clutch pack

13: Remove bearing race from A4 case and install bearing race from 5r

14: Use Sonnax end caps

15: Use 5R output shaft

16: Use AB intermediate servo and zc Overdrive servo

17 Use Borg Warner replacement bands

18 End play tolerances .0080.021 rear and .007-.028 front

19: Optional install drain plud in 5r tranny pan

So here it is 19 steps to Frankentranny. If I forgot anything or if I interpreted something wrong please let me know.

The steps above should read like if you were reading the post from page 1. Starting at the front of the trans and working your way back.

I left out how the original poster modified the servo end caps for pressure sensors and the drain plug for temp sender as those would fall under the optional category. I do think both are of great value in protecting your work and investment.

Awesome work...

Back