DemonMudder

- When In Doubt, Redneck It Out -
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 C1500
And well, well, well...I love when you manage to wire something on your own when no one thinks you can. Sat out there for a whole day testing and being sure and by the next morning, bought the right amount of wire, a new switch, etc. And had it up in an hour. Did also replace the bulbs with green LEDs to match the truck, which are lovely to see. Now, back to figuring out lifts, tires, wheels, and etc.. to hopefully happen early next year.

20210718_145242.jpg

20210718_213318.jpg

20210719_160749.jpg

20210719_160744.jpg

20210720_215407.jpg

20210720_215419.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How’d you get the wiring into the cab?

I just put it underneath the weather stripping and ran it down until I ran out of stripping. The leftover wire bundle is still just handing there in between door panel and dash panel but from there its inside. And the same spot is where I ran it along the hood seams and hooked it to the battery. I can get pictures in a few

It’s hooked directly to the battery? What’d you fuse it at?

It’s hooked directly to the battery? What’d you fuse it at?
I didn't even bother with a fuse, I hooked it to it's own switch, setup just like my light bar. Ground, battery terminals, visor, switch. I was going to hook it with the headlights, but that's a lot more hassle than it's worth especially when I'm already planning to get like an 8 or 6 switch rocker for when I add other lights.

I didn't even bother with a fuse, I hooked it to it's own switch, setup just like my light bar. Ground, battery terminals, visor, switch. I was going to hook it with the headlights, but that's a lot more hassle than it's worth especially when I'm already planning to get like an 8 or 6 switch rocker for when I add other lights.
Congratulations, you’ve created your very own fire hazard. 2 of them. NEVER hook anything directly to the battery. Especially if it’s sandwiched in the door.

I highly suggest fusing a set of terminal blocks for your additional lights. If you don’t do things right, you can’t complain when people doubt your ability to do something. It may work, but it’s absolutely not correct.

The lightbar came with the wiring already setup, just hook and go. I figured using ring connectors to the bolt on the battery terminal ends were okay. I set it up the same way as the lightbar. As said, I'll grab some pictures and then sure, gladly take some suggestions.

I’m sure it says to fuse it in the instructions. Adding the proper fusing is easy, and cheap. You just add it inline right at the battery. Clip the cable a few inches away from the current ring terminal and butt splice it in.

Or, you could slap in something like this.

Jtron 6-way RV Fuse Blocks blade box DC 12~32V 12v Fuse Block Holder With LED Indicator Light Kit For Automotive Car Boat Marine Trike (6 way) Amazon product ASIN B075L88PCR

Jtron 6-way RV Fuse Blocks blade box DC 12~32V 12v Fuse Block Holder With LED Indicator Light Kit For Automotive Car Boat Marine Trike (6 way) Amazon product ASIN B075L88PCR
Should I have gone with something like that, yes. Did I look at it, yes. Did i do it, no. Still should though, yeah, because I am asking for a fire yes.

I’m sure it says to fuse it in the instructions. Adding the proper fusing is easy, and cheap. You just add it inline right at the battery. Clip the cable a few inches away from the current ring terminal and butt splice it in.
The lightbar legit had nothing, didn't even saw how to assemble it, let alone wire it. So I just went with google and my very limited wiring knowledge at the time

And now, one is on the way, probably mess with it over the next couple days but won't do it till Monday when I'm off.

And now the fuse block is in, temporary placement, still secured. Working just fine so far

You could drill a hole in the body to get the wiring inside the cab & run the wiring down inside the windshield post.

You could drill a hole in the body to get the wiring inside the cab & run the wiring down inside the windshield post.
Sure, but there’s little margin for error, and the windshield area is never an area you want to do a rust repair on later.

Sure, but there’s little margin for error, and the windshield area is never an area you want to do a rust repair on later.
I'd rather not drill more than I have to, sometimes necessary but still

I'd rather not drill more than I have to, sometimes necessary but still
I hear ya. I’m leery of drilling anywhere on the top side of the cab.

I tried to install 1 of those on a 1st gen. Failed miserable. It flopped at hwy speeds & eventually torn the holes on the side & went flying down the hwy. Yours looks good though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried to install 1 of those on a 1st gen. Failed miserable. It flopped at hwy speeds & eventually torn the holes on the side & went flying down the hwy. Yours looks good though.
Oh dang.....sorry to hear that man, heard of a couple of wobbly ones, never that. So far mine seems fine, haven't heard or seen anything from it

Back