Project X = Steering w/front locker ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project X = Steering w/front locker ???

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
Ok, i've got my front aussie locker in and i've done a bunch of reading up on it since i test drove it on a quick trail...I am looking for some answers for a first generation w/ifs and an aussie locker up front...

now mind you i do need some front tires and i am hoping this resolves my questions, but until then, i will ask something from the more experienced ones with front lockers... my question is, when i lock the hubs the locker is active while i'm still 4x2 and it steers the same in 4x4...it has the center steering in a direct forward direction and is difficult to turn...is this the way it is suppose to work....i can be driving along on dirt and go to turn and it pushes straight, it's kind of spooky...i guess why i am asking this is, will i have to wait till i drive up to a rock before i get out and lock my hubs because i need my direct line first???

i have read some of the brown wire mod and i believe it only pertains to 2nd generation X's...if my above question is true, something like the brown wire mod would work but i don't think it's possible on 1st generations...

i am also thinking i might have a tire size problem as explained briefly in the aussielocker.com info about tires have to be no more than 3/8" different and since both my fronts are evenly at the end of their life, this might be it, but they don't elaborate what the problem would be...i might even have an install problem that you guys can enlighten me on though the locker was easy to install and spec'd just fine...

any info from you warriors of the almighty front lockers would be greatly appreciated, thanks...:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone??? you can't all be on trail , lmao...:D

If you're on a dirt road and have the hubs dialed on, you should be able to turn the vehicle w/o any problems as the vehicle is moving because the dirt should allow at least one tire to slip. Now if you're on a hard packed dirt road and the vehicle isnt moving, then yes it would be a little difficult to steer because the vehicle's caster angle requires the front wheels to turn opposite from each other during steering.

I recently put an Aussie in mine, with manual hubs... You will feel a difference even when not in 4 wheel drive, but I wouldn't say it "pushes straight". When you're not in 4x4 and turn you should be able to hear the locker clicking when it locks and unlocks.

ok, let me soak this in, lol...i guess it will do better in deep sand...the reason i'm asking is i need it to be turnable on the beach, as pismo is 3 weeks away...i know it might sound a little newbie but i am, new to lockers...now i am familiar with trim steering though, lmao...

so i was right, when i go on rocks i am pretty much going to be unlocked all the time except for crawling??? i can see a hydro steer in my future then...as for sand and snow, it will steer normal even locked up???

ok, is there a way i can disengage the t/c from a switch?? i guess not huh???

lbar 2002, that kind of helps...let's just say i did have a problem on hard packed dirt.. it seemed fine at first and on the turn i guess it locked, forward movement was fine but steering was about a 1/4 each way until you got on the gas....
do you get full normal steering range with hubs locked in 4x2 and 4x4???

There is a little drag in the steering but not that much. When I was DD my 86 ranger I would use 4wd to get out of the snow to go to school. Once I hit clear roads I would just put it in 2wd and go drive the 40 miles there and 40 miles back then put back in 4wd when I hit the unplowed roads. This was locked front and rear. On hard surfaces like pavement or granite slabs in 4wd it will push some but I ususally give it a bit of extra gas and then it will turn. When in T haven (I'm pretty sure everyone of us does it ) when we hit the washes just put the tcase in 2wd and leave the hubs locked. We have only had one person hit the side of the wash and that had more to do with the 37" tires at 12 psi and going 35 mph into a corner everyone else took at 15.

ok, let me soak this in, lol...i guess it will do better in deep sand...the reason i'm asking is i need it to be turnable on the beach, as pismo is 3 weeks away...i know it might sound a little newbie but i am, new to lockers...now i am familiar with trim steering though, lmao...
You'll be fine on sand.

so i was right, when i go on rocks i am pretty much going to be unlocked all the time except for crawling???
I would just lock it in as soon as your vehicle gets in the park/trail.

i can see a hydro steer in my future then
If your steering doesnt have enough "umph", you may want to modify you're steering pump for more pressure. Follow my thread here about modifying the pump, I haven't done it yet though but I will in a few weeks: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1701600

ok, is there a way i can disengage the t/c from a switch?? i guess not huh???
No, unfortunately the electric 1354 can't be disengaged like the 4405 (the "brown wire" mod).

lol at izwack, you are just full of good news aren't you...my customers already think i'm moonlighting as a mechanic somewhere..:D

rockranger, thanks...i am going to have to play with it a bit...again, i am so used to having 2 sticks, this auto thing has alot of things i'm going to have to get used to...like when i jump out of my ranger and get into my X i am still clutching and shifting...and don't worry, you'll never find me doing 35 in 4wd, well, unless i'm making a point and beating a jeep...:D

btw rockranger, i am working on our deal for next month after pismo...i want to be together for truckhaven's playday...:D

lol at izwack, you are just full of good news aren't you...my customers already think i'm moonlighting as a mechanic somewhere..:D
Actually about that pump, I forgot that you're talking about your first gen .. so you're pump is very easy to modify as I think its the regular Saginaw P-style pump. Basically you want to stretch the bypass spring by maybe a quarter of an inch so the fluid builds up more pressure before the bypass valve opens. There's a link on that thread I posted about doing it on the Toyota pump but its the same idea.. another option is to get an aftermarket higher PSI pump like from AGR or something .. this is what "LImited Ex" did: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189549

hopefully that will be the only mod i will be doing right before truckhaven...eventually i got to get back to finding and putting some axle arm drop brackets on my ranger without lifting it again...projects are cool to have but i've been spending the last 2-3 months doing nothing but projects day and night, lol...i just want to do some easy wheeling for a couple months, without braking anything....:D

Back