• Register Today It's free!

Proper spark plug for a 2006 V8?

Boomyal

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Ltd
A little bit confused here. The best that I can determine the Motorcraft SP514 is the OEM replacement. This is still a two piece plug that does not solve the extraction issue. I also ran across an AUTOLITE HT1 plug. I see no evidence that this is a one piece plug but is a better price than the Motorcraft sp514.

Champion has a one piece plug but I have seen reports that these do not hold up.

What to do? My engine runs just fine but I do not know the history on the plugs so I am going to pull them and want to have new ones on hand.

What to buy? Autolites are good in many applications.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stick with Motorcraft HT1

It looks very good to me. $ 84 for Motorcraft improved design ? I would go for it.

It looks very good to me. $ 84 for Motorcraft improved design ? I would go for it.

The 'improved' part is nothing more than nickel plating instead of copper plating. It is still a two piece plug. I wonder how long ago they made that change?

I would still like to know more about the AutoLite HT1 plug to see if is viable and how it is constructed.

If Autolite is the manufacturer of the Motorcraft plugs, then the HT-1 is probably similar to the Motorcraft Sp-462, which is the stock plug. Price seems to be comparable.
I tried the Champions last year and started to get misfires when the weather turned damp and cold in the fall, yet only had 6k miles on them.. Pulled the Champions out, put the used Sp-462's back in (still had them). Swapped colis 1/4 and 5/8, put in a temporary drip rail under the cowl and have not had a misfire since.
I strongly recommend that you follow the TSB to the word and don't deviate. I make it a point of servicing the plugs every 12 months. Have had the plugs out 4 times in 4 years and have not broke one yet.
And buy the Lisle extraction tool, just in case its needed.

Now I am even more confused. I thought the 4.6 V8 plug was the Motorcraft sp514?

(Figure 1) Coat Ground Electrode Shield. Plug threads also recommended.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=142690

Thanks again sws, but there seems to be a lot of controversy on whether to remove them hot or cold. I knew that Ford recommended cold but many posts on the subject say to do it warm.

Another area of controversy is the tool. One youtube I saw said to set your torque wrench to 33 ft lbs and then just keep working the wrench til the plug finally turns out. Other posts and vid say to use a fast moving impact wrench.

As mentioned before. my 2006 runs just dandy but I do not know the history on the plugs. When things warm up and dry out I will try pulling some plugs to see how they look and how they come out.

Many also say to run a few tanks of gas with something like Techron before attempting removal.

What's your experience.

No experience at all with the 3V, although the 4.0L SOHC is known for a few different issues. ;)

Also going from what I've read. Using Techron prior to removal is one thing most seem to agree upon.
Must say that using an impact to "break" them free on a hot engine sounds downright scary to me. :eek: GL

I can see the thoughts behind both methods:
a. Slow and easy so you let the carb-cleaner work/dissolve the buildup.
b. Impact to actually shock the buildup.

My gut tells me option "a" is safer, but many have had no problems with option "b". The thing is, you'll never know if 1 or the other will work better, since you can't do the other after you've done the 1. (whoa, I'm dizzy now).

Just to list my limited experience, the previous owner changed the plugs (1-pc Champions) at around 60,000 miles (we bought at 65,000). He had heard about the issue, and was proactive (didn't break any). I had 1 of those Champions go bad at about 75,000 miles (misfire). I changed that 1 plug (with another Champion). Just turned 101,000 miles and no further misfires.

To use impact on anything that need to be torque controlled is scary and stupid.

That job is delicate, if I were you I would follow Ford´s procedure to the letter and install the newer design spark plugs.

Back