Protect All? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Protect All?

toph

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
My new ex is finally in; limited w/ leather

I dont normally fall for the dealer extras- but any thoughts on this inside and out teflon 'proctect all' stuff

they are offering it for $650 and included protection against dings and interior tears, etc.

thoughts???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Normally I wouldn't buy that kind of stuff, but after taking delivery of my Explorer, I noticed a small cut in my leather. Also something went wrong when I folded down my third row seats, one side didn't fold down right. When I tried to fold it back up, it got wedged under a plastic trim piece that surrounds the rear cargo area, it scuffed/tore the leather on my seat. I don't think this leather is as durable as other cars I've had.

If you plan to keep the car for 3 or more years, it sounds like it might be worth it. Would be interested to know more about what's included in the purchase.

Sounds like you're paying someone $650 to wipe your car down with some kind of fluid.

Seems nuts to me.

My new ex is finally in; limited w/ leather

I dont normally fall for the dealer extras- but any thoughts on this inside and out teflon 'proctect all' stuff

they are offering it for $650 and included protection against dings and interior tears, etc.

thoughts???
Not sure how teflon would protect against dings and tears unless they cover those things with a separate warranty of some kind when you have this product applied. I assume it is sprayed or wiped onto the surfaces. I don't think it is something I would get. If you are thinking of getting it, ask them for a demonstration to see how well it performs.

Not sure how teflon would protect against dings and tears unless they cover those things with a separate warranty of some kind when you have this producy applied. I assume it is sprayed or wiped onto the surfaces. I don't think it is something I would get. If you are thinking of getting it, ask them for a demonstration to see how well it performs.

It seems that its some kind of insurance.

I was looking at Ziebart at their protection options and they seem a little more legit, especially as I live in an area where lots of calcium chloride is used on the roads and think the undercarriage coating might be useful...
???

Sounds like you're paying someone $650 to wipe your car down with some kind of fluid.

Seems nuts to me.

I'd be more inclined to pay some money to have my truck wiped down with Loganfilm than Protect All. :D

Some detailers are indeed using coatings, but they're not dealer specials.

I would be skeptical about any kind of coating that claims to protect against dings. If you are looking for a permanent sealant, I would check out Opti-Coat by Optimum:

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html

If you don't want to apply it yourself, you should be able to find a professional detailer who will do it for a lot less than $650.

Indeed. Opti-Coat is the product rolling around the detailer world...

I would not part with the $650.

I detail my Explorer myself.
For the leather, I have been very happy with Mothers VLR cleaner.
Also put on 2 coats of wax myself.

There was an article I saw about the effect of acid rain on cars and how Ford had tried hundreds of after market products to apply to cars and found none to be effective.

My attitude is that if a product is really that great, Ford would have put it on at the factory.

Back