Puddle Lamp Conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Puddle Lamp Conversion

I've got a 98 Sport w/ the generic rear view mirrors (no puddle lamps or heated)...If I were to simply buy rear view mirror assemblies with puddle lamps and plugged them up, would the puddle lamps thereby work or is some kind of electrical work needed? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'd just need to hook up the puddle lamp trigger circuit to the dome lamp circuit.

What level of complication are we talking here.

I would imagine there would already be wiring there for the puddle lamps. all youd have to do is plug the puddle lamps into the wiring harness.

Boy I woke up an old one here.............

Anyway, Hornz, just wondering if ya ever made the switch? If so were ya bale to just plug and go?

I did this mod about a year ago after a bad vandalism experience.

You do have to do some wiring.....the stock harness does not include the puddle lamp wires. And the new mirrors had the connector that fits only the ones wired for puddle lamps.....they're different.

So I had to splice in the connector from my old broken mirrors, and add a secondary one for the lights. The PITA was the new mirrors had different color wires than the old ones, and as the connectors didn't match up I had to figure which went to which by trial and error.

Once you get it all done, though you just splice the puddle lamp power into the dome light circuit.

Oh, and by the way, put in new bulbs before you even try the lights. These aftermarket bulbs are cheap and they burn up after a few days, and when they do they start to melt the reflective housing inside the mirror.

Doesn't sound too complicated. Where does one find the lower dome light circuit?

I ran a wire behind the dash over to the dimmer switch next to the headlight switch. Just splice into the trigger wire....I think it was orange.

Back