Puddle Lamp Warning! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Puddle Lamp Warning!

I was cleaning my X today and looked up at my mirror. There was something funky on the lens of my puddle lamp. Not so the lens was all bubbled up from where it had melted! I pulled it out and the side opposite the bulb mount was melted too. I have only had my X for two months. I was running PIAA Xtreme White bulbs, I mean PIAA come on those are sappost to good. Needless to say I now have to buy new puddle lamp houseings, and stick to my factory blubs, yuck! Do you guys think I should right PIAA a letter!?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It cannot hurt...

Was the bulb wattage the same on both or the PIAA's were brighter?..Was the bulb same shape as the stock bulbs?

Same shape and wattage. That's what pissed me off.

Were the lights brighter than stock?

Do not put anything other than stock bulbs in the puddle lamps.

PIAA's have a different heat range, that is why they melted.

If the same wattage, definately send them a letter as well as pics of the damage.

Good luck....

I went to the dealership to order the new housings and you can't order them, only the whole mirror!

check out raybrig automotive.... they have aftermarket rplacements for factory parts on almost all trucks... and they are about the same quality as the factory stuff, and about half the price too

uh, puddle lamp... um.. what is that?

Thats on all the new "Lady Edition" Explorer's. In addition to the puddle lamp, it has a lipstick holder where the cigarette lighter used to be and a holywood style vanity mirror.

nick

Very funny flyguy!

Originally posted by flyguy
Thats on all the new "Lady Edition" Explorer's. In addition to the puddle lamp, it has a lipstick holder where the cigarette lighter used to be and a holywood style vanity mirror.

nick
LOL. Yeah puddle lamps? WTF?

puddle lamp = stock idea of rock lights? :D

Originally posted by flyguy
it has a lipstick holder where the cigarette lighter used to be and a holywood style vanity mirror.

nick

Uh, Flyguy, I think you've got the Explorer and the Canyonaro mixed up. Canyonaro, it's a squirrel squashin', deer smackin' drivin' machine!:D

Dude! Thats what I was thinkin! But what was the one homer had? It had a name.... hehe..

nick

I just know it as the F series Canyonaro.

one of my puddle lamp housing melted as well ,
and I was using the stock original bulbs ?

I often leave the rear hatch open when working under the hood,and I guess the lamp generates allot of heat,and can't be left on for extended periods of time,like 15 minutes or so ?.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had mine on for hours at a time with no problems. Like Nick said, you must have the "lady edition".;)

Back