Pull codes on 95 Explorer Not OBDII Compliant | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pull codes on 95 Explorer Not OBDII Compliant

ronin2501

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT 2WD and 96 EB AWD
I have a 1995 Explorer 4.0L 2WD Automatic
I have an intermittent check engine light issue. The light will come on and stay on every once in awhile durring prolonged highway driving. Occassionally if you shut the truck off after stopping and start it again the light comes back on. Eventually the light will just turn off. The truck doesn't run any different when this happens.

The problem is:
I can't pull codes on this truck even though it has an OBDII port under the dash. The scanner can physically connect to the port but it will not "Communicate" with the ECM. We have tried several different scanners. I spoke with a Ford Technician and what I found out was that the truck was built before the EPA mandated the OBDII Regulations on auto manufacturers. I don't have the OBDII sticker under the hood either. So in short...I don't want to spend 80 bucks getting the codes pulled on my truck because Ford has a "Special" code retrieval tool...

Any ideas on obtaining these codes?

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

south59 said:
Your in luck, all you need to pull the codes is a jumper wire or paperclip ;)

http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbroncos/tech/eec/index.html

Thanks for the link, but this is where I'm confused. I don't have the old style connector that is shown in the diagram of this link. I have the OBDII style connector below the steering column. Is there a similar method for this type of port?

(I have one of the old style ford scanners for that older plug that looks just like the one on a Mustang on the driver side firewall. I can't use it on the Explorer.)

Apparently this happened ONLY on the 1995 models..

Does your connector look like this:

obdII_connector_423x317.jpg

-Drew

Strangely...mine looks like the top one...only the pins are in different locations.

datacon.JPG

EPA.JPG

VIN.JPG

the pin holes were just different cause that picture is from a different vehicle. That connector is the OBD-II connector...so I don't know what to tell you except advising you check your fuses and make sure you have the connector powered up. That can easily keep it from communicating. Good luck

-Drew

A 95 Explorer is not OBDII compliant. Oddly enough though, a 95 Ranger is.. Could never figure out why one was and one wasn't..

I think it had something to do with the manufacturing date...
mine was in 4/95 and I'm not certain, but I believe that it wasn't until 8/95 that most Domestic Manufacturers did not have to adhere to the EPA regulations yet.
I went to Advanced Auto to talk to one of my friends about it...he told me the same thing about most 95 Domestic Vehicles.

On another note...I'll check my OBD connector to make sure that the pin/or pins didn't back out just in case.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Your Explorer is not ODBII. You will need a specific reader for you Explorer or if you can figure out how to put the computer in diagnostic mode. ODBII is for 96+ cars. I've never heard of a 95 being ODBII, but I could see it if it was built close to the 96 models.

some 95s are OBD-II -- Just like TPMS isn't mandated until 2007...doesn't mean that's the first time they've had them.

-Drew

There is also the standard ford obd1 plug in the engine compartment on the right side. It has a cover over it that says ecc check or something like that. Then you can just plug in and get the code yourself or have it pulled at an auto parts store.

Sorry it took me so long to get back. Yes, the post just before this one was correct. This 95 ALSO has the OBDI port under the hood. It was tucked underneath the brake master cylinder if I remember correctly. It had a fastening point on the driver side area but it was just dangling. I am getting several codes when I short the diag pins. But it seems like after doublechecking them, they change. I can't get a solid reading from these so I may have to just buy the reader with the display on it.

Suggestion:

CLEAR ALL YOUR CODES............then, start driving........look for the "new" codes.

Aloha, Mark

ronin2501 said:
Sorry it took me so long to get back. Yes, the post just before this one was correct. This 95 ALSO has the OBDI port under the hood. It was tucked underneath the brake master cylinder if I remember correctly. It had a fastening point on the driver side area but it was just dangling. I am getting several codes when I short the diag pins. But it seems like after doublechecking them, they change. I can't get a solid reading from these so I may have to just buy the reader with the display on it.

I did this just a month or two ago for the first time. It took me a couple of trys to get "in rhythm" with the timing of the flashes before I could write them down with any repeatability. Remember all the codes for each test are repeated, and the KOEO and CM tests are separated by two 6-second pauses with a single flash between them.

I found the link that 410 gave above to Mr. Shorty's write up of the test to be essential to figuring this out. If you havent used that, give it a try.

Back