Pulling my hair out: Need advice on used EX | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pulling my hair out: Need advice on used EX

According to tbe saleman all the conversions have been done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would buy again a 2011+ ford explorer over the honda pilot in a heartbeat!

Pilot is off the list.....in fact there is only one vehicle on the list lol

on that not. when I get in for a test drive, what should I be looking for? Other then the usual.

I will try to get the transmission to "thump" by slowing from 40-50mph and getting back on the throttle.

what other common issues are there? It is a 2013 so there may not be many.

Just noticed it doesnt have nav. I am very suprised the limited trim does not have standard nav.

Just noticed it doesnt have nav. I am very suprised the limited trim does not have standard nav.
Voice activated navigation is an option. The other thing you have to consider is that while ALL Canadian Limiteds come with HID lamps, regardless of the trim package, in the U.S. they do not. It is an option there.

Peter

Hi all, I have been reading the forums for awhile now. I hope this hasnt been asked to death yet but my search came up lite.

A brief history, My wife an I are getting close to buying a large suv. The 2 I am looking at are 09-11 pilot touring, or the explorer xlt/with leather or a limited.

For me, Honda is the go to choice. I have been driving, fixing, building and tunning hondas for most of my driving life. They are reliable, consistant and unfortunitly getting boring and alittle behind the times.

Never in my life did I think I would consider a Ford to buy. While on vacation in florida we rented a escape. When I arrived to pick it up I was told that they would have to put me in the explorer. I thought to myself " oh great a big v8 gas guzzler". To my suprise I looked at it and said "cool". Getting in and driving it blew my mind. I had no idea how much it had changed from the last time I was in the older full frame explorer. Anyway, we loved it for the week we had it. the gas milage was great for the size. Over 1000miles and averaged 23mpg with mix of hiway and city (we were on a budget so I was being very cautious).

I must say the explorer is the one we want but I am affraid. Affraid Of change (very familiar with working on hondas), but more affraid that We wont be able to afford to fix the issues I have read about on the forum.

The MFT seems to be better with the latest update. But I can deal with the resetting.

My Biggest concern is the Mechanical/electrical issues, ie power steering and I though I read about some transmission issues. I am in canada and most that im seeing for sale are getting close to the 100 000km mark. This would leave me with out warranty.

I know most of what I read around hear is people venting. There isnt always the urge to come online to say how awsome somthing is.

The pilot we drove didnt make us go WOW that is totaly worth 30k. We are going to check out another ex, but the nearest model we want is over 3 hours away.

So I guess im looking for some responce to how serious the issues really are. I know how things get blown out of proportion.

Also I dont think we can afford a '12. the first year has me a tad concerned.
Thanks

I am going to be very honest and blunt...if you buy a 2011 explorer after all you have read through this forum - you are an absolute idiot. And I mean that. Source: 2011 Ford XLT Owner

Pilot is off the list.....in fact there is only one vehicle on the list lol

on that not. when I get in for a test drive, what should I be looking for? Other then the usual.

I will try to get the transmission to "thump" by slowing from 40-50mph and getting back on the throttle.

what other common issues are there? It is a 2013 so there may not be many.

The transmission bump is intermittent. You are literally talking yourself into a possible nightmare. Fool are you.

I am going to be very honest and blunt...if you buy a 2011 explorer after all you have read through this forum - you are an absolute idiot. And I mean that. Source: 2011 Ford XLT Owner
I guess you haven't read all the positive posts then. just because you may have been experiencing problems with yours doesn't mean everybody else is. Also that isn't a very nice thing to say regardless of your opinion.:thumbdwn:
I have no reservation about doing it all over again. Great dependable vehicle to this point.

Peter

I guess you haven't read all the positive posts then. just because you may have been experiencing problems with yours doesn't mean everybody else is. Also that isn't a very nice thing to say regardless of your opinion.:thumbdwn:
I have no reservation about doing it all over again. Great dependable vehicle to this point.

Peter

I stand by what I said. If he gets one of the lemons - and there are many of them out there - he will be sorely disappointed. Perhaps, you have not read the plethora of negative posts.

"Great dependable vehicle to this point"..."regardless of your opinion"

I stand by what I said. If he gets one of the lemons - and there are many of them out there - he will be sorely disappointed. Perhaps, you have not read the plethora of negative posts.

"Great dependable vehicle to this point"..."regardless of your opinion"

You're the "LEMON" on this forum......Any particular reason you need to be so disrespectful?
Please go buy another branded vehicle and annoy the folks on that forum and don't let the door hit you on the way out.:mattmoon:

You're the "LEMON" on this forum......Any particular reason you need to be so disrespectful?
Please go buy another branded vehicle and annoy the folks on that forum and don't let the door hit you on the way out.:mattmoon:

Pot...kettle...black?

I understand the 2011 issues, but at the same time are you saying that these problems are not fixable. I was advised earlier in this post to stay away from the 11 and even most 12's.

I have not mentioned a 2011 since, as I have realized that I need to put up the money for a 13 (if I can afford that). the internet is famous as a negitive sounding board for pissed off people that cant get the "real world" to listen to them. I have been in retail for 15+ years and you only need to piss of one person for the word to spread. the other 100 happy customers are not really heard from. I have to take this into consideration when reading a forum. I am not doubting there is problems, however there is always horror stories from any vehicle. If it has warranty, that makes thing a litle better for me, and a little less risk. How many explorers were sold in 2011. I only see a small amount on this forum. Why? Because the people that have problems tend to want answers. They come here with there problems.

Its clear you are jaded and thats fine. As rude as you come across I will still take what you say into consideration, as you have real world info. But you are not the final word in explorer reliablitiy. You are only one person.

but thanks anyway

Voice activated navigation is an option. The other thing you have to consider is that while ALL Canadian Limiteds come with HID lamps, regardless of the trim package, in the U.S. they do not. It is an option there.

Peter

Thanks again for all your help. I didnt look back into this thread before starting the other. You answered my questions.

This from an owner who had a 2011 and then through arbitration got a 2013. Other then My Ford Disappointment (Touch) my 2013 has had no issues at all. It drives completely different then the 2011. New larger PTU, and different programming for the 4WD system.

So, what exactly changed on the PTU and 4wd system and when did it change?

This from a face to face discussion with a Ford AWD Engineer, not hearsay or opinion.

The 2011 had torque steer, regardless of what some on here will say, it did. If your Explorer is a once a week to the grocery store vehicle that doesnt rev above 3000RPM, then it probably won't feel like there is torque steer.

The Engineers realized there was an issue and to deal with it they increased the PTU module and changed the software that deals with calculating power distribution to the AWD system.

This changed in the 2013 MY Job1.

I noticed right away when I switched from the 2011 to a 2013. Even though the 4WD graphic on the DIC isnt 100% accurate it gives you a rough idea of power transfer. The graphic in the 2013 shows the rear wheels getting power much more frequently.

When I had my wife drive the 2013, her first comment was "wow that drives nothing like your old one"

Test drove an nice low milage '13 xlt. What an incredible vehicle!! The pilot was like riding in a truck. The interior feel was great. We could wisper and still hear each other. It was tight, responsive, an overall woderful place to be.

We are going to wait to find a limited, as the memory seating is a must. I am much taller then my wife and waiting for power seats to move back before I can even get in is not fun.

Test drove an nice low milage '13 xlt. What an incredible vehicle!! The pilot was like riding in a truck. The interior feel was great. We could wisper and still hear each other. It was tight, responsive, an overall woderful place to be.

We are going to wait to find a limited, as the memory seating is a must. I am much taller then my wife and waiting for power seats to move back before I can even get in is not fun.

Let us know what you decide on, machine4321. If you haven't already, I recommend reaching out to our Marketing Program Headquarters at 1-800-334-4375. They can fill you in on all available incentives in your area and assist in tracking down your perfect Explorer.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well almost pulled the trigger. Looked at the '12 limited 301a pak but thankfully my wife held off to see a sterling grey '13 xlt 202a /20" alloys with only 18000km. Sad i dont fet my limited gadgets but this xlt was in amazing condition. It rode much better then the 12 and it is a '13 like you all have been beating into my head :).

Hope we can come to an agreement by monday, I got emotionally involved. Also sold me on the maintaince plan as it had under 20000km. I passed on the extended warranty.

It is an ex rental, but it was hard to imagine considering the condition it was in. A non rental is out of my price range.

Will post some pics if it all works out.
Thanks again for all the helpfull posts.

Back