Putting subs in my 02 explorer

DjHumbug

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, Maryland/Towson University
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
hey all -
here's the deal - I wanna put a system into my brand new (well, used 2002 explorer...just got it 3 weeks ago) Basically, I want to add a sub/subs, update the head unit (so my ipod can work w/ it), and then later on, replace the front speakers...the main problem is, however, that i own a Disc Jockey business and use my car when I have shows. This means that I lower the rear seats and pack the explorer with equipment (the car is packed completely). I went to a few places and found only two solutions:

1) Tweeter offers a JL audio "stealth" package, which basically puts 1 10in sub in the back on the driver's side panel where the net/cupholder is...the price for just the sub and the stealth installation is 560 and doesn't even include the amp.

2) I can just get 1/2 subs boxed and put them behind the rear seats...then, I am told, whenever I need to use teh car for DJing, I can just remove the subs and take them out...(the amp would sit in one of those storage compartments in the back). The price for the amp and subs would be under the price for just the stealth unit...

Can someone please help me and give me some advice. I plan to use the explorer for a lil off roading so I don't know how that will effect the box (i am told i could velcro it down but i don't knw whow that will hold) PLEASE HELP w/ suggestions!!!!

-david

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would not get the stealthbox. It seems to me to be a waste of money. If i were you i would just get a regular 10in box and take it out whenever your going to shows. I mean you would only have to unplug the speaker wire going to the box.

Scott

I put the MTX thunderform in my '98 XLT and really like it. I hid a couple amps under the rear seat. They mount to the underside of the seat so that the seats can go flat. It only took some basic aluminum strap to fabricate the brackets.
The problem I have now, is that I have become bass drunk. I want more, and there is the limitation for the 10" sub. in a half cube of air space. The other problem is finding subs that will fit the box if you blow one.
Otherwise, it sounded so good, that I still haven't replaced the OEM door speakers...just gave them lots of power and increased the treble.

did ya make two posts on purpose... or did you put one somewhere it didn't belong and got put here?

i didn't mean to post there..it was a mistake.

i'm gonna try ebay for the stealth box..if not there, I'll go w/ the regular box and just take it out everytime I think..I don't work too often...and i'll see about somehow bracing it down for when i go on the occasional offroading trip. Thanks!

afmracer788 said:
I hid a couple amps under the rear seat. They mount to the underside of the seat so that the seats can go flat. It only took some basic aluminum strap to fabricate the brackets.

I would really like to see/hear more about this. I'm always putting my back seats down to haul stuff, I figured there was no room under there for much of anything.
You have peaked my interest! :D Got any pics or anything?

I just upgraded my system as well, and had the same concerns as you. I wanted something that sounds awesome, but is completely invisible and out of the way. That being said, I went with the QLogic Enclosure that mounts into the side panel in the back. My two amps are mounted underneath the two rear seats. I left the bolts off of the seat hinge for easier access to them.

For the ipod thing, I believe that most new decks are supporting them. The newer Pioneers (x700 series) are compatible so that you can control the ipod through the deck. There is a special part they have listed on their website for $40 called an ipod adapter, which I don't know if it is mandatory, or if it is just for older decks without the ipod function...You'd probably want to double check.

My sub hits hard with what I've got set up. It's very minimalist (except for the indash) and nothing is visible, while cargo space is retained 100%. The interior speakers are crystal-clear as well, which was really important to me.

That being said, here's what I got.

-Q Logic Customs Box off of eBay for $150
-Rockford P2 10" Sub $109.99
-Sony XM-2100GTX 2 Channel Amp $149.99
-Pioneer 4 way 6x8's $99.99
-Rockford 6.5" Components $199.99
-Pioneer AVH-6600DVD In-Dash $1199.99

I also have an older Rockford 4 channel amp for the interiors that I hooked up.

Let me know if you have any questions...

-Lloyd

TeamXPLO said:
I just upgraded my system as well, and had the same concerns as you. I wanted something that sounds awesome, but is completely invisible and out of the way. That being said, I went with the QLogic Enclosure that mounts into the side panel in the back. My two amps are mounted underneath the two rear seats. I left the bolts off of the seat hinge for easier access to them.

For the ipod thing, I believe that most new decks are supporting them. The newer Pioneers (x700 series) are compatible so that you can control the ipod through the deck. There is a special part they have listed on their website for $40 called an ipod adapter, which I don't know if it is mandatory, or if it is just for older decks without the ipod function...You'd probably want to double check.

My sub hits hard with what I've got set up. It's very minimalist (except for the indash) and nothing is visible, while cargo space is retained 100%. The interior speakers are crystal-clear as well, which was really important to me.

I also have an older Rockford 4 channel amp for the interiors that I hooked up.

Let me know if you have any questions...

-Lloyd

How does that Rockford P2 sound? How many watts you have going to it?

hey guys new here, im in the same boat, i just purchased a '02 limited and want something completely hidden, what you did, teamxplo, sounds really cool could you give us any more info or maybe some pics?

P2 sounds greats...I think the amp is rated at 300 watts..

My 98 had an opening in the rear passenger side that would hold a 10 inch easily.

TeamXPLO said:

-Lloyd

Hey Lloyd..
I just ordered a new pioneer deck and am thinking about getting a new sub in the back too. Did your sport come with the rear passenger side sub? My '03 has the sub in the back...but it isn't sounding so good, previous owner probably messed it up. Do you know if I need to get the sub box if I already have a sub back there?? This is what i'm confused about and can't seem to find the answer to. I'm curious as to if i can just take the old one out and get one the same size to fit in...
-jenni

I was curious about the same thing. I was looking around and it looks like those q-logic boxes dont fit the 01s and up and the person who posted this has an 02.

Back