Question about ALL WHEEL DRIVE??. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about ALL WHEEL DRIVE??.

Anyone with a 5th gen 4WD Ex with MPG info?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Torque steer on the Sport is a bit of an issue. The AWD system is computer controlled and in Normal mode only sends power to the rear when the fronts are detected as starting to slip, but by this point a bunch of torque has already been sent to the front to cause the slip. I can even feel it when the transmission kicks down when I overtake a slow vehicle on a 2 lane highway.

The four driving modes adjust how the power is split but also adjust other things (throttle response, shift points and aggressiveness, traction control, ABS etc).

Recently I've started using the 'Mud & Ruts' mode if I'm anticipating launching hard or some more 'spirited' driving. More power is sent to the rear by default and the throttle is a little less twitchy (which I actually also prefer), but the down side is the traction control is turned off, the transmission shifts a lot more aggressively and also seems to lock up the torque converter (more engine braking). Once I'm up to speed or just cruising I'll switch it back to Normal mode.

I don't like Sand mode because it's too keen to hold a lower gear, and whilst I use Snow mode when it's snowy, it short shifts so you lose some of that get-up-and-go.

What I would have loved in the Sport is a 'Custom' mode where you could define the various parameters yourself to tailor the way it drives just how you like. Does anyone know if any of the tuners have figured out how to adjust some of the terrain management settings?

Snow mode reduces torque some the tires don't break free on slippery surfaces. You had no torque steer because the torque was less. Sand mode increases torque and reduces traction control and let the Ex shift later. You have an Explorer Sport. It has 365 horsepower. You are going to get torque steer. AWD is not continuous no matter what mode your in......

Snow mode reduces torque some the tires don't break free on slippery surfaces. You had no torque steer because the torque was less. Sand mode increases torque and reduces traction control and let the Ex shift later. You have an Explorer Sport. It has 365 horsepower. You are going to get torque steer. AWD is not continuous no matter what mode your in......

So what about mud?

..........Recently I've started using the 'Mud & Ruts' mode if I'm anticipating launching hard or some more 'spirited' driving. More power is sent to the rear by default and the throttle is a little less twitchy (which I actually also prefer), but the down side is the traction control is turned off, the transmission shifts a lot more aggressively and also seems to lock up the torque converter (more engine braking). Once I'm up to speed or just cruising I'll switch it back to Normal mode........
If you 'launch' in Normal mode, the majority of the power is automatically transferred to the rear wheels. I had the AWD layout showing on my Limited one time in the left screen when I tried it and the rear wheels showed 3 bars and the fronts only 1 bar. I don't think Mud & Ruts is meant to be used for getting up to speed. As the Owner's Guide states; Note: The Sand and Mud/Ruts modes are for off-road use only.
Haven't experienced any torque steer yet that I can tell.

Peter

Back