Question about Exhaust system...

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
OK, so I have been going through so many mods my truck is really starting to look great! but one thing is really bothering me, it sounds too quiet.... So I want to finally tackle that. I want to keep this on the cheap, mainly because I am uncertain on what sound I really like. but what I was thinking was do a 2.25 y pipe, so I can do 2 into one, then step it up to 2.50 to go into a super 44 muffler, then step it back down to 2.25 to go back into the original tail pipe. As far as I can find the super 44s only come with 1 in 1 out, or 1 in 2out, and they are not reversible.... Along with thee smallest is 2.50, so that is why I need to step it up to go into the muffler.

So is it possible to do this with a $20 y pipe, some step ups from the parts store, and some clamps, I would weld it but I don't know anybody with a welder, so I would like to avoid taking to a shop, to keep cost in mind.

What would you guys do? I would put this in the Exhaust thread, but I feel that I will get better traffic with my own thread...

Thanks for any input guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So either I made a really stupid thread, or nobody has any input...

If you simply want to replace the muffler for sound, then just find a 2.25" inlet and outlet muffler that will work with your 2.5" OEM tail pipe.

To the op you can put a y pipe in, they make exhaust clamps to bolt it all together. but i would stay with the 2 1/4 tube though. It would be cleaner install with less pieces to leak and less hardware. Theres plenty of muffler choices that have 2 into 1 also. Does the 44 only come in 2 1/2?

If you look on eBay, there are impco mufflers that are knock offs for flow master. They are the same thing, same sound. You can get 2 1/4 inlet outlet. Mine was 32.17 to the door. Then go to your local parts store and pick up a couple of clamps. You'll be all set

Well after researching for a little bit I found a decent Y Pipe, Heartthrob Exhaust makes a very nice, quality Y Pipe for about $60, and the Super 44's do come in 2 1/4, I just g tired of scanning though pages... So that is what I will most likely do. so for about $150 all together I can get my Exhaust sounding a lot better. I even got my buddy to weld it for me, for a case of beer, so this worked out pretty good for me.

if you're really on a budget, go to VIP and get a cheapo 40$ glasspack and throw it on lol
will make a bit louder at least, thats what imma do with mine, right now the exhaust is too good, cant even hear it pretty much, rev the engine all you hear is motor (the 4.0 ohv really is just not a good sounding engine :/ ) but yea, if u want super cheap there ya go.

Back