wanting to clean throttle body and questions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wanting to clean throttle body and questions?

rockey95

Reaction score
City, State
Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
guys i'm getting a rough idle and went to Oreillys to get some carb cleaner yesterday, while i'm there an employee tells me to take the vaccum hose off the top of the engine that runs to the brake thing that is up against my firewall, i forget the name of it, anyways he tells me to pour Seafoam into it and let it suck some of the Seafoam into it, about half bottle and then run the vehicle pretty hard and that will help clean out the carbon deposits, can anyone verify this or should i just stick with cleaning the throttle body as i wanted to to start with?
its a 2004 Ford Explorer with 115,000 miles

seafoam can't really clean it (I doubt it does)
there's a lot of videos on how to clean up the throttle body using a spray/toothbrush, this is more reliable and doesn't create a lot of smoke. don't waste your time on seafoam, my truck never have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD1Ee7IdD0U

When I clean my throttle body, I take off the air filter/cleaner hose, and clean the plate on both sides with paper towels.

thanks guys, i was going to go the Throttle Body route anyways, not sure the guy at Oreillys knew what he was talking about but didn't want to take a chance on someone just telling me something as i know the Throttle Body route will work.

Back