Question for the First Gen Peeps :-) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question for the First Gen Peeps :-)

WormsExplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Durango
I have wheeled with my 92 with the automatic transfer case. She did GREAT. Was very surprised at how well she did on the trail. Can not wait to get her lifted and bigger tires on her. OK So enough rambling. Who here still has the Push Button Transfer and how well is it? I like the fact that I have it but want to make sure it will be good out in the rocks and not explode on me when out there crawling on the rocks. Here is a couple picks of here:
11101626_10206381322595840_477713581315925826_n.jpg

11068412_10206381322795845_2745584775852549388_n.jpg

Hope to hear soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is only minor differences in the T-cases. Both versions of the 1354 work great. The biggest structural difference in the cases are year specific, with the planetary gears. Earlier models had a 4 gear set up, newer ones have a 6 gear system. These are a bit stronger, and hold up better, but honestly, the amount of horsepower the OHV is throwing at it, wont make a difference, until wear & tear with age appear.

New bolt on Upgrades for the T-case are very expensive with brands such as Atlas or STaK cases. These are way stronger, and offer lower crawl ratio's then the 1354.

Then there is the custom fabricated "Doubler" cases which use two 1354 cases mated together with a thick plate adapter. Lower crawl ratio then the expensive bolt on models, but way more work with custom linkage, and custom driveshafts.

To get the most out of your stock 1354 case, make sure to change the front/rear diff gears to match the size of the bigger tires you install.

If the shift motor goes bad on your E1354, they are cheap to replace, and in a pinch you can remove them and turn the gear selection shaft with pliers to change gearing ranges.

Hope this helps you a bit. For more information, read up on the threads in the drive line sub forum. All the info you need is already there. :)

There is only minor differences in the T-cases. Both versions of the 1354 work great. The biggest structural difference in the cases are year specific, with the planetary gears. Earlier models had a 4 gear set up, newer ones have a 6 gear system. These are a bit stronger, and hold up better, but honestly, the amount of horsepower the OHV is throwing at it, wont make a difference, until wear & tear with age appear.

New bolt on Upgrades for the T-case are very expensive with brands such as Atlas or STaK cases. These are way stronger, and offer lower crawl ratio's then the 1354.

Then there is the custom fabricated "Doubler" cases which use two 1354 cases mated together with a thick plate adapter. Lower crawl ratio then the expensive bolt on models, but way more work with custom linkage, and custom driveshafts.

To get the most out of your stock 1354 case, make sure to change the front/rear diff gears to match the size of the bigger tires you install.

If the shift motor goes bad on your E1354, they are cheap to replace, and in a pinch you can remove them and turn the gear selection shaft with pliers to change gearing ranges.

Hope this helps you a bit. For more information, read up on the threads in the drive line sub forum. All the info you need is already there. :)

Thank you That was VERY helpful. I am not planning to Rock Bounce or go very big on the tires. Just something that I can play out in the rocks and still drive daily if I need to. Again thank you for the info.

Have you ever wheeled on Boreas Pass??? Im planning a trip out there probably next year.

Sorry dont know much about your t case i have a manual LOL.

Have you ever wheeled on Boreas Pass??? Im planning a trip out there probably next year.

Sorry dont know much about your t case i have a manual LOL.

No I have not been up there yet. My wife and I want to try and do as many trails as we can. Have a book and checking the boxes. Of course right now only doing the easy ones :)

No I have not been up there yet. My wife and I want to try and do as many trails as we can. Have a book and checking the boxes. Of course right now only doing the easy ones :)

Ya friend of mine was telling me about it. He says we need to hit in the summer because of the snow. Sounds like a hoot. Colorado is full of awesome trails!

For what it's worth, I wheeled my 93 on 33's for pretty hard for a couple of years. Never had any problems whatsoever with the push button... Can't say the same for the auto hubs though. Lol.

For what it's worth, I wheeled my 93 on 33's for pretty hard for a couple of years. Never had any problems whatsoever with the push button... Can't say the same for the auto hubs though. Lol.

I do not have Auto Hubs Thank goodness. They are the Manuel Locking hubs. If that is the case I will probably Just keep what I have a get the lift kit and get taller gears.

Ya friend of mine was telling me about it. He says we need to hit in the summer because of the snow. Sounds like a hoot. Colorado is full of awesome trails!

Yes Colorado Has a TON of awesome trails. My club has adopted a trail that I like running alot also. Its called China Wall. Great trail for all kinds of rigs. You can look it up on www.traildamage.com .

Gman pretty much nailed it. I abused my push button t-case a fair amount without any problems. Found a good deal on a manual case otherwise it would still be in there. Good to hear you've got manual hubs.

On our '92... I'm on my 2nd transfer case, but the first one broke a chain. I actually had chain noise for 20k miles or so before it snapped... I had no idea what the noise was, until it went....

Sometime before 200k miles I had to change the bushings out in the xfer case motor... I think I used rubber hose....

On the last trip I got my 2nd issue due to the push button... I got high centered (I get to blame [MENTION=10244]Ritsui[/MENTION] as he was spotting) and turns out the wires for the shift motor were hanging down and I basically cut 3 of them and ripped one out of the plug. That meant I was in 4x4 low until I got home (I trailer it to truckhaven)... Worst case, I could have taken off the shift motor and rotated it to 2wd...

Those are the only 2 issues I've had with the push button 4x4 system with 390k miles on it... Basically, just use it once in a while, so it doesn't get stuck but otherwise, it's just the bushings...

~Mark

The auto transfer case is fine, the main issue it has with age is the switch no longer engages 4WD, fix is usually pulling the shift motor and rotating the stop bumper.

There are various issues depending on use, but if you change out the ATF every so often, it should last hundreds of thousands of miles.

I'd say the auto hubs are okay too. It's nice not to have to get out to lock or unlock your hubs. They are cheap to replace if you get used ones from the salvage yard and rebuild them.

ive yet to have any major problems with my auto t-case, although i do keep a spare motor, and a set of auto hubs in my trail box just in case.

Back