• Register Today It's free!

Question for the IVT team

mprtech

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ex Limited
Morning, my 11' Ex Limited with Sony has an annoying quirk. If listening to HD radio I have honestly the best sounding factory radio I've ever heard. If I play digital media either original well mastered CD or lossless WMA ripped from original CD's the sound quality is ok, not anywhere near the volume level and clarity of HD radio. Knowing HD radio is compressed and basically no where near the quality of a CD why does it sound better? Also I can turn up any HD radio station up to max volume to the point it shakes the whole truck, but with any digital media, formatted in any form maxes out at 3/4 before it sounds like the amp starts breaking up<---biggest peeve.

What is going on here, is it the APIM or the AMP?

I swear if one person in particular posts a picture of how loud he likes to listen to his radio I'm done with this forum:)

Good job on the MFT by the way, after many years of fixing the Uconnect disaster this is a far superior system in almost every respect.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I swear if one person in particular posts a picture of how loud he likes to listen to his radio I'm done with this forum:)

Good job on the MFT by the way, after many years of fixing the Uconnect disaster this is a far superior system in almost every respect.

He'll be here. You've missed all of the fun years with MFT.

Think that's bad, you should try satellite radio...

I doubt it is the APIM or the Amp. If it was the amp, it would affect music from all sources.

Peter

One thought, and probably a good troubleshooting step, is to make sure the surround/stereo setting is set to stereo. It's probably not the cause, but that type of processing can have unexpected results, especially with digital sources.

Has it always been that way or is this something new?

I doubt it is the APIM or the Amp. If it was the amp, it would affect music from all sources.

Peter

Indeed it's pretty easy to say it's not the amp, it seems to be the quality of the signal. The apim handles all of the inputs. I've been inside the apim, it has a 8channel cirrus logic dsp chip, but the apim only outputs 2 channels to the amp.

Indeed it's pretty easy to say it's not the amp, it seems to be the quality of the signal. The apim handles all of the inputs. I've been inside the apim, it has a 8channel cirrus logic dsp chip, but the apim only outputs 2 channels to the amp.
When you refer to the APIM you are talking about this unit located under the dash, right? I wasn't aware it was that crucial to the radio system. If it is, then you may be correct.

Peter

Attachments

• 0985a_017_001.JPG
    0985a_017_001.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 187

The apim is mounted directly to the touch screen

Back