• Register Today It's free!

Attention Ford IVT Team

jrmexplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Ok,
So..... the rumors are already running rampant with several members reporting that they were told by so and so at Ford or their dealership that a newly redesigned whiz bang MFT is coming out sometime between January and April of 2012.

Rebecca,
Some questions:

1.) When (generally) is the next release of My Ford Touch planned to be released? Don't worry - we won't hold you or Ford to these dates as we all understand they might be tentative.

2.) What is the general scope of the changes - is it a complete redesign, simple bug fixes? etc....?

If you cannot divulge this information I understand, but if that is the case please pass along to your bosses at Ford that perhaps they should consider releasing this information as it would go along way towards extending the patience of a lot of frustrated users. People are more apt to be patient with a product that doesn't work when there is an open line of communication from the manufacturer to the users. In this case, Ford hasn't been nearly as open as it could be or should be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you cannot divulge this information I understand, but if that is the case please pass along to your bosses at Ford that perhaps they should consider releasing this information as it would go along way towards extending the patience of a lot of frustrated users. People are more apt to be patient with a product that doesn't work when there is an open line of communication from the manufacturer to the users. In this case, Ford hasn't been nearly as open as it could be or should be.

+1:thumbsup:

+2 and I don't even own one, but this is exactly why.

The problem is, Ford could say "Hey, we're working on a very large update we ESTIMATE it will be released Q1 of 2012. This is a complex process and the Q1 date is just an estimate. There is no way we can guarantee that it'll be released then.".

You'll then have thousands of users (owners) bombarding Ford with questions. Then, if something happens to the update, and it has to be pushed back, you'll have the same thousands of users screaming and claiming that Ford is jacking them around and not living up to promises. Releasing the info before they have a completed product would be a nightmare.

All this coming from a software developer. That said, is it a rewrite and will it be released Q1???? ;D

Fords silence speaks volumes......i see it as a good thing.

The problem is, Ford could say "Hey, we're working on a very large update we ESTIMATE it will be released Q1 of 2012. This is a complex process and the Q1 date is just an estimate. There is no way we can guarantee that it'll be released then.".

You'll then have thousands of users (owners) bombarding Ford with questions. Then, if something happens to the update, and it has to be pushed back, you'll have the same thousands of users screaming and claiming that Ford is jacking them around and not living up to promises. Releasing the info before they have a completed product would be a nightmare.

All this coming from a software developer. That said, is it a rewrite and will it be released Q1???? ;D

That is understandable, but I think the situation changes when you have a large base of existing users with serious issues with the software. It's only fair that they communicate that to users and then deal with the inevitable "is it done yet?" questions.

It would also help many car shoppers with some piece of mind that if they do buy an Explorer that their pain with MFT (if any) will be temporary. To make it as open ended as Ford has (e.g. we're working on it, please trust us) will not sit with skeptical people. The last thing most people want is a problem that they have to deal with for an indefinite amount of time. At least with a target date they will have something to look forward to.

I should add as well that software companies generally do discuss product updates. For example, Microsoft has recently released some details about Windows 8.

That is understandable, but I think the situation changes when you have a large base of existing users with serious issues with the software. It's only fair that they communicate that to users and then deal with the inevitable "is it done yet?" questions.

It would also help many car shoppers with some piece of mind that if they do buy an Explorer that their pain with MFT (if any) will be temporary. To make it as open ended as Ford has (e.g. we're working on it, please trust us) will not sit with skeptical people. The last thing most people want is a problem that they have to deal with for an indefinite amount of time. At least with a target date they will have something to look forward to.

I should add as well that software companies generally do discuss product updates. For example, Microsoft has recently released some details about Windows 8.

I agree and disagree ... for every 1 of us that are on this board, or others, complaining, there are 10,000 MFT users that are perfectly happy, and therefor not on this board complaining. I have a small circle of friends, I do however know 3 other people that have MFT in that circle of friends, and all of them have said they love it, and are perfectly happy.

There's no business reason for FORD to create a mass hysteria about a "possible" update at this time. Sales for the explorer don't appear to be slowing down regardless of the negative reviews of MFT. Perhaps them leaking information to sales reps is a way to keep new sales happening while not having to publicly declare that they are aware of what a mess the current revision of the MFT software is.

That being said.. when is the next update coming out? Is it a massive redesign? we must know! ;)

+100

Yesterday the wife and I got on the road at 5:30am to drive 200 miles or so to southern NJ. The Nav started up but we had no voice commands the whole way. Not a giant big deal but WTF? The $200 Garmin always worked....sigh.

It started working again on the way home....maybe she overslept?

I have to say everything else was flawless.

That is what is happening now to the dealers...I think the "world's most Dangerous Job" these days is a Ford service mechanic! :D

bump.

Even if Rebecca can't share this, I'd like to get an indication that she cannot share this, so I'm bumping it.

Ford dropped TEN spots in reliability from 10th place to 20th place.....sad, if they would just be honest and up front they would probably not have taken such a hit. Wake up Ford!!!

The sound of silence.:rolleyes:

Honest about what? What would you have them say?

How about..."We are sorry for all the issues you are having with MFT, we promise out customers we will have this fixed to work as advertised"

Real simple.:rolleyes:

Well, the Ford President did just that around the time that J D Power rankings came out. How they're committed to making it right, and all that. How's that worked out so far? Would you really put any stock in "we here at Ford are committed to...blah, blah blah" statements?

Well, the Ford President did just that around the time that J D Power rankings came out. How they're committed to making it right, and all that. How's that worked out so far? Would you really put any stock in "we here at Ford are committed to...blah, blah blah" statements?

Like I said.....they need to be honest! This is not a difficult concept.

Like I said.....they need to be honest! This is not a difficult concept.

He was honest. He said that they were aware that MFT was flawed. What more can he say? Somehow I think what you want them to say is that they're going to make it all better. Maybe there's a reason they're not saying that.

He was honest. He said that they were aware that MFT was flawed. What more can he say? Somehow I think what you want them to say is that they're going to make it all better. .

I sure do!! I (we) didn't pay all that money for something broken. The dealers have no clue what is happening either, they are waiting for Ford for an answer to tell their customers. They get many complaints at my dealer daily and they are probably as sick of the problems as I am....probably more so.

All we get now are rumors from people on here and elsewhere and silence from the Ford reps, pretty disgusting. Just tell us what is going on and what is being done to fix it and when, just a ballpark. Why is this so difficult to understand?? If you and others are happy that is fine, some of us are not. Ford didn't drop from 10th place to 20th (out of 28) because of just a few people on here....

To gain credibility as a company you need to earn it, right now in my book Ford is not doing that. Step up to the plate, put the cards on the table and tell us what is going on....real simple stuff.

All we get now are rumors from people on here and elsewhere and silence from the Ford reps, pretty disgusting. Just tell us what is going on and what is being done to fix it and when, just a ballpark. Why is this so difficult to understand?? If you and others are happy that is fine, some of us are not. Ford didn't drop from 10th place to 20th (out of 28) because of just a few people on here...

I didn't say I was happy with it. My point is that I don't think that it will be "fixed," and as such there's not much for them to say other than, "sorry." The easiest thing to do is tell people what they want to hear (ie, "we're fixing it."). Does it suggest anything to you that they won't say that?

. Does it suggest anything to you that they won't say that?

It suggests to me they need to rethink their customer service and become more up front and innovative.

I think it will be fixed, I just won't wait forever before I have to file a lemon law claim which is something I would rather not have to go through. I bought this to enjoy the technology and the ride...I enjoy the ride, the tech part so far really missed the boat. I will not roll over and accept that it does not work as advertised, they will have to fix it or eventually take it back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would be nice if Rebecca could at least log in and say I've read your complaint. Geez is it so hard to at least make an acknowledgement?

Back