Question on Bosch +4 Plugs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question on Bosch +4 Plugs

bionic2000

Reaction score
Today I purchased the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs for my 2000 Explorer (6 cyl/160hp). Yesterday I called a few shops and was told that the Bosch plugs were not yet available for my model/year.

I ended up calling AutoZone. I was told that they had the plugs in 2 variations and that I should look at the 8th digit of my VIN# to determine which plugs to use. There are 2 choices, E or X. Well, my 8th digit is an X, so they supplied me with the 4459 plugs (this is the number on the plug box). The actual number on the plug is R3 971.

Does this sound right? I am only curious because a few shops told me that the plugs were not yet available for this model/year. Is AutoZone on the ball, or are they selling me plugs that might not be right?

I also purchased the Splitfire wires directly from Splitfire yesterday ($54.99). The part number for my model/year is WS6612. I also noticed that this is the part number for many of the earlier Explorers. If anyone has tried these wires on a 2000, please let me know if they were the correct wires. I would hate to start the job and find out that the wires are too short.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

------------------
2000 XLT 4L
160 HP
4 Door
DynoSource Chip
KKM Air Filter System

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went out and bought a set of the +4's for my '96 Sport 4.0L OHV. I went to O'Riley Auto Parts, I asked if they had them for my truck and they gave me #4458, the number on the plug is R3 970. I don't know if its different with your car, and it made me wonder if the plugs they gave me are wrong (If the plug is too long it could contact the piston, right?). If this helps great and hopefully someone can answer my question.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PunkChild:
I went out and bought a set of the +4's for my '96 Sport 4.0L OHV. I went to O'Riley Auto Parts, I asked if they had them for my truck and they gave me #4458, the number on the plug is R3 970. I don't know if its different with your car, and it made me wonder if the plugs they gave me are wrong (If the plug is too long it could contact the piston, right?). If this helps great and hopefully someone can answer my question.
Jim
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

thanks for the reply. I called AutoZone and asked for the part # for a 1996 Explorer. They gave me the 4458 number. It seems that you have the right plugs.

Good luck

bionic2000,
The part number on the plug wires should be the same for the earlier models as yours, because both are OHV engines. There haven't been any major changes on that engine in years.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

[This message has been edited by Ray Lobato (edited 03-24-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ray Lobato:
bionic2000,
The part number on the plug wires should be the same for the earlier models as yours, because both are OHV engines. There haven't been any major changes on that engine in years.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ray,

thanks for the info. I put the plugs in yesterday and everything seems fine. Can't say that I noticed a difference between stock and the Bosch. I am hoping that the Splitfires will make the difference.

Joe

------------------
2000 XLT 4L
160 HP
4 Door
DynoSource Chip
KKM Air Filter System

Back