Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey guys,
This weekend I'm doing some minor repairs on my sister's 1999 Ford Explorer SOHC 4.0L and I lost my Haynes manual on it. Can someone tell me the torque specs on the following bolts?

-Bolts on the engine oil pan (replacing gasket)
-Bolts on the transmission fluid pan (replacing gasket and filter)
-Bolts on the valve covers (replacing gaskets)
-Bolts holding down the upper intake (replacing upper and lower intake gaskets)

Also, should I use high temp copper sealant along with gaskets on any of these gaskets? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to Haynes

Hey guys,
This weekend I'm doing some minor repairs on my sister's 1999 Ford Explorer SOHC 4.0L and I lost my Haynes manual on it. Can someone tell me the torque specs on the following bolts?

-Bolts on the engine oil pan (replacing gasket) > 71 to 88 in-lbs Haynes
-Bolts on the transmission fluid pan (replacing gasket and filter) > 108 to 132 in-lbs Haynes
-Bolts on the valve covers (replacing gaskets) > 71 to 88 in-lbs Haynes
-Bolts holding down the upper intake (replacing upper and lower intake gaskets) > 53 to 62 in-lbs Haynes

Also, should I use high temp copper sealant along with gaskets on any of these gaskets? Thanks.
Not that I'm aware of.

Thanks man I appreciate it!

So on the oil pan bolt I am only tightening to roughly 8 ft lbs? That seems so light?

actually 7

Thanks man I appreciate it!

So on the oil pan bolt I am only tightening to roughly 8 ft lbs? That seems so light?

7 ft-lbs is 84 in-lbs which is mid-range of the spec. As I recall I purchased a replacement oil pan gasket from a local discount autoparts store. It was entirely different from the OEM gasket that had metal spacers to prevent over tightening and distorting the gasket shape. I think I ended up reusing the original gasket after making sure I had all of the spacers and applied normal engine gasket sealer. I also reused the original quality rubber valve cover gaskets.

definitely reuse the spacers!

7 ft-lbs is 84 in-lbs which is mid-range of the spec. As I recall I purchased a replacement oil pan gasket from a local discount autoparts store. It was entirely different from the OEM gasket that had metal spacers to prevent over tightening and distorting the gasket shape. I think I ended up reusing the original gasket after making sure I had all of the spacers and applied normal engine gasket sealer. I also reused the original quality rubber valve cover gaskets.

What engine gasket sealer did you use? Im replacing the stock gasket because it's leaking. So a fel-pro gasket isn't good for this application?

Permatex 2

I found the tube in the garage. It is Permatex 2 form a gasket sealant. It's what I've used on engine gaskets (water pumps, oil pumps, etc.) for the past 40 years.

This Felpro gasket (PN OS30687R) is permadry molded rubber according to the description so it may be adequate.
OS30687R.jpg

are you doing upper or lower gasket? the upper, dont you have to re torque the bolts that push on that main caps?

Thanks man. Do you have the following torque specs as well? Upper and lower intake bolts and thermostat housing bolts?

Thanks you're a life saver!

New Thread created

New thread created

I'm actually going to create a new thread on this so it's searchable in case anyone runs into this problem in the future.

Back