Questions about Flushing Cooling System | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions about Flushing Cooling System

TheJMan

Reaction score
City, State
Scottsdale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Mazda 3 Hatchback
This weekend, I am going to flush my cooling system, and just have a few questions:

1) I bought a bottle of Prestone Super Flush to use with water after draining the system. Would driving for 1 hour with just water and the Prestone cause any problems?

2) Is it ok to use Dex-cool coolant? Everybody else in my family drives GM vehicles and we happen to have an extra bottle of it in the garage.

I'm also going to change the rear diff fluid, and I also want to know if it is best to pump the fluid out or to remove the differential cover and replace the gasket? I don't recall it ever being changed, and I am kind of leaning toward removing the cover, but is it necessary?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just changed my diff fluids on my 94. there wasnt a gasket on my rear diff there was silicone i just pulled my cover off cleaned up the cover and siliconed it back up on there . be sure to let it setup for about 10 minutes before you refill or the silicone might leak. my front had no drain plug so i had to pump it out with a suction pump.

1. You're fine. Just watch the gauge so you don't overheat.
2. Coolant is a coolant is a coolant. Just stay away from cheap brands.
3. Changing rear diff fluid? Can't help you there. I never changed mine yet. :)

coolant is NOT coolant

Stick with the green stuff

I'm running dex-cool in mine. I just changed the thermostat too because it was acting up. Runs nice and cool, little below norma operating temp.

Just be sure to follow the directions on the flush. You dont want to leave any of that stuff in your system.
Dexcool isnt gonna hurt anything. Use "Distilled" water to mix it with. Since you had the green in there before you probably shouldnt figure that the dexcool is gonna last 5 yrs. Probably should change again in 2 yrs.

I decided against the Dex-cool and bought a gallon of Zerex green instead. I'm not too worried about overheating right now because my thermostat is stuck open, which is being changed the weekend as well.

Make sure to "burp" the cooling system after your flush. I think the easiest way is to leave the radiator cap off, bring the vehicle up to operating temperature, and then top off the coolant.

I would stay away from the Death-Cool. I have read a lot of posts on GM boards about this stuff turning acidic and gelling up after about 3 years.

Flushing coolant is cheap protection so I stick with the standard stuff and do it every two years.

Best way to drain the rear diff is to remove the cover. To fill, I think using a pump through the fill hole is the best and easiest way. You'll need 2.65 quarts to refill.

I use Zerex coolant with distilled water. Only use tap water if you have to; while there is some degree of hard-water deposit inhibitors in coolant, they can stop working after just a few months. If you use distilled water you won't have to worry about that.

COOLANT FLUSH.

Definately green w/distilled water. As for the flushing agent, the best thing to do is but the Prestone Super Flush. Add it to your resivoir a few days to a week prior to your flush, and it breaks loose all those deposits in your system. but you must run your engine for up to 10 hrs ( at different intervals) prior. I have done this to 5 or 6 vehicles including 3 explorers. Super Flush really works good.

Mixing the pink ( red what ever ) with the green is bad.

In a few months it becomes real thick and muddy.
Maybe not all cars, maybe not all the time but I have seen with my own eyes.

Where do you buy "distilled" water? Just bottled water?

yes, everyone is right. stay away from dex i have seen a bravada come into the shop i work at with a blwon head gasket because the dex gelled up and at away at the radiator. and like MONMIX said, NEVER mix them, it will gel up.

Back