Questions about installing a new hood release cable | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions about installing a new hood release cable

davem

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
I purchased a hood release cable that includes the cable, sheath, pull lever, etc. I have a few questions:

1)

Do I install this by pushing the entire cable from inside the cabin, through the firewall ? Or just push a portion of the cable (up to the grommet), from the engine bay, into the cabin ? (remove the cable "pull end" from the pull lever first)

Based on the added layer of material around part of the cable sheath, I dont think I can fit the whole thing through the hole in the firewall, meaning I cant simply push it all from the cabin into the engine bay, but I could be wrong.

2)

How does the wire loop end attach to the hood latch ? I had my latch off once to lube it, but did not see exactly how this connection is made.

3)

I sometimes have a hard time CLOSING the hood - someone mentioned adjusting the hood bumpers. Are these 2 posts, look like a rubber/plastic bumper on a bolt ? Do I need to make them 'shorter' ? (thread them in further ?)

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I purchased a hood release cable that includes the cable, sheath, pull lever, etc. I have a few questions:

1)

Do I install this by pushing the entire cable from inside the cabin, through the firewall ? Or just push a portion of the cable (up to the grommet), from the engine bay, into the cabin ? (remove the cable "pull end" from the pull lever first)

Based on the added layer of material around part of the cable sheath, I dont think I can fit the whole thing through the hole in the firewall, meaning I cant simply push it all from the cabin into the engine bay, but I could be wrong.

2)

How does the wire loop end attach to the hood latch ? I had my latch off once to lube it, but did not see exactly how this connection is made.

3)

I sometimes have a hard time CLOSING the hood - someone mentioned adjusting the hood bumpers. Are these 2 posts, look like a rubber/plastic bumper on a bolt ? Do I need to make them 'shorter' ? (thread them in further ?)

Thanks.

yes. make them shorter. screw them in. BTW, the fact that it's hard to close is probably also contributing to it being hard to OPEN.

I highly recommend you attach a string to the old one and pull it towards the firewall after popping the grommet. Tie the new one to the string or follow it's path to the firewall. The path is complex for lack of a better word.

I highly recommend you attach a string to the old one and pull it towards the firewall after popping the grommet. Tie the new one to the string or follow it's path to the firewall. The path is complex for lack of a better word.

Lets see if I understand this ........

- attach the string to the pull-lever end within the cabin
- pull the old cable into the engine bay
- untie the string from the old cable within the engine bay
- then attach the string, in the engine bay, to the pull-end of the NEW cable
- pull the string within the cabin, to get the new cable into the cabin

Got it installed.

This advice was very helpful ! Thanks.

Back