questions about lift springs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

questions about lift springs

Bootless

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer 4x4
im doing a leaf over axle conversion on my 94 xlt i was just wondering if i can use 6 inch lift coil springs to level out the front what do yall think any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will depend... Doing the SOA gives you the lift of the height of the axle tube + spring mount (height over the tube) and the height of the spring pack...

In general, this comes out to around 5.5" to 6"

Soo... the short answer is, it should be close..

I want want to make sure you are doing more than just tossing 6" springs up front to get the height since with a TTB front end you need to take into account the camber and the caster. If you just toss longer springs up front (more than 2") you will never be able to get it aligned...

A 6" kit typically has at least Axle pivot brackets (or drop brackets) and Radius arm drop brackets. You can use Extended Radius arms to help with caster too while Cut & turned beams can be used to take care of the camber...

~Mark

What is the easiest/ cheapest way to do this?

That would be to buy a full lift kit.. Like the Skyjacker 136RHK (6") or the Superlift K491 (5.5"). Both of those kits are front end only and you would do a SOA in the rear to match it.

~Mark

Mark hit it right on!
Please pay attention to the camber issue, its significant to the steering of the truck. Also consider a drop pitman to help with the bump steer you will have with the lift in the front.

You can find lots of info in the stickies in the Modified section, look for Wood1's post. Aslo, the ranger station has a tons of tech articles that apply to explorers too.

Also, keep in mind that stock springs front and rear will have sagged over time so a simple SOA and a level up front won't always equate well, because the front will get new stings, while the rear will get a lift do the relocation of the leaf spring, but the leaf may sage significantly. When I did my SOA with the stock rear leaf and a 2" Skyjacker lift, 132X spring, it had a slight rake with the rear up a tad higher than the front. With a new leaf, the rear will come up another couple inches. So keep in mind the mixing of old and new springs in your mind.

James Duff kit is good option too.

You can also run across people selling parts either on eBay, Craigslist, or here on the forum. The drop brackets I got actually came from Maniak, and I got the coils and pitman arm from eBay..perches for the SOA were cheap as well and also found online.

If you look hard and long enough, the parts will come together cheaper than buying a kit, but a kit will be quicker and have everything you need.

The easiest cheapest way is to not lift so high. Yeah, the spring over is very cheap and easy, it's the front that complicates things. Anything over 1.5-2" needs drop brackets etc, which kills the cheap/easy thing.

What size tire do you want to run?

Eventualy 35s but right now 31s im doing a 3 inch body for now

Back