• Register Today It's free!

Questions on '01 XLS

Pat B.

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 xls
MY '97 XLT was totalled in an accident last month and I used the ins. settlement to buy an '01 XLS 2WD w/44K mi. Since I don't have any maint. history (I bought it at auction), I've replaced all fluids/filters and will be getting it checked out at a local shop. The engine is a 4.0 SOHC so I'll also be checking on the cam. tensioner recall.

I plan on towing a 16' aluminum boat. The total weight of boat/trailer is around 1500 lbs., with tongue weight under 100 lbs. The XLS doesn't have the factory tow package so my questions are...

- Does anyone know where I can find/order a good tow wiring harness? From my internet research, it seems the '01 is a bit unique.

- Should I worry about the tranny (i.e. install a cooler?)? I live on the west coast so the air temps. aren't bad, and I don't plan on towing more than 4-6 times a year, 100 mi. max. per trip, and no mountains/steep grades.

- Any reason not to use a tow ball on the std. bumper? As I read the manual, I'd be well under the weight limits.

Thanks!

Pat B.

Can't really help with the harness but I would def. install a tranny cooler. I plan on installing one in my X soon and I won't even be towing with it. The lower the fluid temp the better. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Back