Quick '95+ Hub & End Link Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quick '95+ Hub & End Link Questions

badge49

Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4X4
Today I replaced my rotors with R1 Concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors... great stuff at a good price. Had no problems at all with their parts/workmanship.

Anyway, as soon as I got the truck on jack stands I noticed my right front hub had play in it. The hub bolts are tight and everything functions and rotates with no grinding, but it has several millimeters of play if you were to grab the top of the tire and pull it in and out from the truck. My left front hub has no play at all. I replaced both hubs less than 50k with new Timken units. Is the play a sign of something broken in the hub needing another replacement?

While I was under there, I was going to replace my steering end links with Raybestos Pro. Grade parts. I could not get the outer link to separate from the inner link. Any tips or should I just get new inners as well?

Sounds like the wheel bearing is on its way out but not bad enough to have symptoms yet.

As for the end link, soak it in PB blaster or/and hit it with a propane torch for a good 3-5 mins.

PB Blaster and propane torch were what I was thinking too.

I have an extra hub laying around somewhere, just a real PITA to swap out, again.

Back