• Register Today It's free!

quick muffler question

sonkakaro

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Xplorer Sport
Hey just a quick question. If i just replaced my stock muffler with a free flowing one from any of the usual performance companies and stayed with my pipes etc... would i still get performance and better sound or no?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

very minimal

The system needs to be at least free flowing from the muffler back to get anything noticable. Cat-back would be better. Headers with cat-back would be even better.

Robb

i see... Well it's been hard to find a catback system for my 2 door sport. I don't see why i can't use the 4 door systems... Maybe the pipe is to long? My stock dual in/single out sux :)I didn't want to do exhaust at a shop because the truck may be sold later on and i would have to put back on the factory exhaust.

As long as you're not getting an exhaust system that's too loud then don't worry about the resale value. If you get the new tailpipe to exit in the stock location and look like stock, then you'd just have to explain that you replaced the stock muffler due to rust. When you sell the truck, the question probably wouldn't even come up.

To fully benefit from an aftermarket performance muffler you need a new tailpipe. 2.5" is a good diameter to get.

By replacing the stock muffler with a aftermarket "free flow" unit and eliminating the resonator (but keeping the stock tail pipe) you will improve the sound, but the performance change will be minimal. A custom exhaust can also be a selling point in a lot of cases. For starters, the most "free flow" mufflers are fully welded and will last 2 to 3 times longer than a stock muffler. Also most shops use aluminum coted pipe that will last twice as long as the stock pipe. Besides, if you are selling it, performance mods attract a lot of younger drivers!

yea i see what you mean but that's why i've been considering selling my flow 50 series suv muffler because it's a lot louder and getting something softer like maybe a gibson etc... If anyone wants to buy mine be my guest :)

Back