quick question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

quick question

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer
winters going to be here before we know it. What do you guys think is the best way to hook up a tow strap to a 1994 explorer with out messing it up underneath. my friend suggested hooking on to the sway bar, but that doesn't seem like a good idea. so let me know so just in case i need to i have the knowledge thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you didn't really provide any details. i assume you mean you are gonna use the Explorer to tow people out of ditches in the winter....?

do not EVER hook a tow strap to anything like that. a safe bet would be to hook a tow strap up to a hitch. or if you dont have a hitch and dont want to buy one, you can hook a strap to anywhere on the frame.

We had to hook it up to my sway bar to get me out of some ddep ruts and bent the. Mounts so not a good isea i put a hook on frame and its held up for about 5 pulls so far thats what i would do

Definatly add some tow hooks.

People have been using f-150 and Chevy tow hooks for years..

Here is a thread about it, with a link to another thread. The threads are so old that the pics are gone but you will get the idea.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34278&highlight=f-150+tow+hook

Also, grab a recovery strap AND a snatch strap.. Neither has hooks on the ends (that's a good thing) but the Snatch strap will stretch 20% or so to give an extra jerk to get a vehicle unstuck.

Also, if you planning on pulling other people out, your going to have to figure out a way to connect the strap to them without hurting the strap or ripping something off their vehicle. For example, hooking to their axle may rip the axle right out from under their vehicle.. You really only want to be hooking to frame or frame mounted tow points.

~Mark

sorry if i wasnt very clear on the first post. what i was getting at was if i needed to be pulled out what is the best attachment point. i like the tow hooks.so hopefuly some time i can mount them on . Thanks for the help.

The 91-94's have only one stock recovery point, it's the hole in the front of the engine crossmember. It's down there so that it's out of the way, and also so it's low enough to be used with the stock bumper and airdam.

It's not very useful, since the steering rods are in the way, the sharp corners will dig into any hook-less recovery strap, and a tow strap with hooks won't fit (not that you should ever use a tow strap to pull with) but if you use a clevis and a recovery strap, it's better than nothing, and beats ripping the bumper or sway bar off.

If you want to make life easier, tow hooks are definitely the way to go. Either that or get a well-built bumper with built-in recovery points.

Back