• Register Today It's free!

RABS valve

Jag

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT Sport
Due to continuing problems with the anti-lock brakes on my '92, I broke down and purchased a remanufactured RABS valve from Ford.

In looking at the valve, the is a nut with a small tube on it. Is this a bleeder valve?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jag that is correct. There is a bleeder valve on the RABS module, now this is a RABS module and not a ABS module correct? It mounts on the drivers side frame about 18" in front of the rear axle, correct?

Bleed this sucker first, then bleed the rear brakes as you normally would. You can see how it sits on the frame that the bleeder valve is up high right where the air bubble will rise too. Failure to do this will result in a soft pedal and pulsing/grabbing rear brakes..also a possilbe RABS light. :)

Good luck! what did they gouge you for? $300?
(on my88 BII I removed my RABS, did more harm then good, swapped over to rear discs and MUCH improved braking)

Yea, it's the RABS valve, variable proportioning valve, modulating valve, etc. Mounted under the driver's seat on the frame rail. Looks like it my be fun to get at, may have to remove the front driveshaft, maybe I can work around it.

I paid $150 from Ford, and it said on the box that it's rebuilt by Kelsey-Hayes, who happens to be the original OEM maunfacturer.

Wasn't sure that that was a bleeder valve. Didn't want to loosen it up and have a million small parts fall on the ground.

Thanks for the info.

UPDATE:

Installed it tonight. Went easy. Solved my braking problems.

Thought I'd post a picture of it. It may help someone out. I didn't know what it looked like at first.

rabs.jpg

Jack the truck up by the frame and let the front end sag, should be able to get in there then. Be sure to use line wrench's on the lines as to not strip them.

I still have my RABS valve installed, however the computer and wiring have been removed. I plan to plumb a small section of brake line to bypass the RABS valve. The RABS on my BII caused more problems then it solved.........

Originally posted by 410Fortune
I still have my RABS valve installed, however the computer and wiring have been removed. I plan to plumb a small section of brake line to bypass the RABS valve.

Unless it is physically plugged there is no reason to bypass the RABS or even disconnect the wiring. All that you need to do is pull the fuse.

rabs is for rear abs right? i have full abs.... to disable it, all i need to do is remove 2 fuses rated at 30 amp correct? that is what i have now and my abs idiot light is on..... can istill bleed my brakes with the fuses pulled? or will it cuae sometihng funky to happen?

Back