• Register Today It's free!

Rack and pinion symptoms

stren_g

Reaction score
City, State
ne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003, 2000
What are the tell tale symptoms of a bad rack and pinion? I have a 03 mounty, while driving it feels kind of unstable and I have to keep the wheel to the right a little to go straight. It also has a kind of shudder going over bumps. I was advised to check the ball joints and they are solid, there seems to be a small amount of play in the inner tie rod and I am changing the next week. The sway bar end links look good, outer tie rod ends look good, wheel bearings check out too. I did tighten up the bolts holding the rack as on was loose. Also there are no leaks that I can find. I've searched for a while here and I guess all te info is jumbling up in my head lol anything else I should look at? Thanks folks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It was never mentioned when I bought it, but after looking at it... It has had to have been serviced, but not by a professional. Two of the bolts were clearly not oem like the others.

I'm on my 3rd steering rack. The original went out at 140K. When I turned the steering wheel full turn at low speed to either the right or left you would get a bouncing feeling in the steering wheel. The second rack I think was defective to begin with but it would stick in the centered position while going down the highway. Not as horrible as it sounds but noticeable to say the least. The 3rd now is going strong.

Mine just got replaced when I bought the truck a few months ago, it was leaking which was the reason for the change.... I drove the truck before they changed it and I couldn't tell a difference from the old to the new...

Well, It turns out my rack and pinion is bad. I had no leaks, but when I checked the tie rod ends they were bad also... So I replaced them. Took it for a spin around the block and noticed a new symptom. There was a shudder in the steering around tight turns. I found a reman rack for $125. Is this something I can replace, or should I take it to a shop? If I can do it how would I go about it? I've never replaced this part before.

Did you check the alignment or have it aligned after the tie rods were replaced? counting the threads or marking them is not sufficient enough for correct alignment.

I have a slow leak on mine and DIY job for this is not that bad. Space is tight when removing the hoses and the steering rod joint. You have to remove the lower control arm to remove the rack.

Alignment is necessary after the replacement.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

Well, It turns out my rack and pinion is bad. I had no leaks, but when I checked the tie rod ends they were bad also... So I replaced them. Took it for a spin around the block and noticed a new symptom. There was a shudder in the steering around tight turns. I found a reman rack for $125. Is this something I can replace, or should I take it to a shop? If I can do it how would I go about it? I've never replaced this part before.

Make sure that shudder isn't the power steering. Whenever I work on my truck and turn the wheels while the truck is off I get a really bad shudder. You need to turn the truck on and move the wheel all the way to the left and right several times while in park to work this out.

Back