Radiator Mod to increase ground clearance? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator Mod to increase ground clearance?

Afrojoe1449

Reaction score
City, State
Ringgold, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XL 4WD
Hello everyone! I've just finished installing a tube bumper that doesn't come down as low as the stock bumper. I plan to install a skid plate and the radiator sticks out about 4 or 5 inches below the frame rail. Not only making it a clearance issue, but also being an extremely important yet vulnerable component of the vehicle. With that said I'm hoping to find a way to decrease the hang down from the frame before cutting a skid to fit. I know you can do a 2 inch body lift without dropping the radiator, but I don't know if I can raise the radiator 2 inches on stock form or if there's some amount I can cut from the bottom. Any advice, ideas, or leads would be welcome. It seems like it'll be a lot of work to swap in a shorter aftermarket radiator.

https://i.imgur.com/eiI9jp0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cGMG432.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have that same bumper but I'm not installing mine till the lift is done. I was thinking about bolting a bar to the bottom of the bumper to protect the rad.

I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Thank you for the link, Toy, but for me the question is less about how to get a skid plate and more how to raise the lowest point of the radiator so I can get a straighter angle on my skid plate.

I doubt we have the hood clearance to raise the rad much at all. Put tall playdough towers on the top of the rad and shut the hood and see how much room you have.

I doubt it would be enough to be worth the time to raise the rad.

3" body lift and E fan conversion with radiator in stock location. Barely hangs below frame rails.

That's a good idea Swigin I might try that. And I didn't think about a Efan conversion so you wouldn't have to worry about radiator height after a body lift. That might be the way I go. Just move forward on the body lift and find an efan before worrying about a skid.

I'd like to see what you end-up doing. I a planning on adding a bash plate but don't want to lose approach angle.

Back