• Register Today It's free!

Radio antenna

mdriggan

Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Expedition
How well does the "Euro" style radi antennas work? I would like to remove the standard antenna and either replace it with a smaller one or "hide" one somewhere. Has anyone done this and if so, how do I go about doing it?

Michael

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a small rubber $5 antenna from radioshack. Just unscrew the stocker and screw in the radioshack antenna. Works better than stock and doesn't hit stuff :) Takes 5 minutes to install.

Yea i hate how the Stock Antennas ar so BIG.....

so i went to discount Auto and bought a COUGHapcCough antenna and it looks good

PEACE

Originally posted by XplorerKid
Yea i hate how the Stock Antennas ar so BIG.....

so i went to discount Auto and bought a COUGHapcCough antenna and it looks good

PEACE

What is an apc antenna? Thanks for the info...

APC = ricer brand

apc is just a company who heavily caters to the imort car scene (aka rice rockets).
so an apc antenna is a ricer antenna..
i also bought a cheapy "Euro" antenna from a local autoparts store.. its flexible rubber and nice and short..
reception is fine.. but i never listen to the radio

By the way i have a 97 xl in OZ and the antenna in Non retractable I THINK its very tall and the bottom half is rubber so it flexes can i get this off and replace it from the outside or will i have to remove the inner plastic guard Anyone know of a DIRECT replacement cheers

It will just unscrew from the top. You may have to remove that little plastic base (it just pops off) to get the the place to unscrew it (with an adjustable wrench).

Bloody hell that was quick thanks shaun

How about those of us with a power antenna. Mine stopped working in February and the reception sucks.

You can get to it by taking the fender lining out. It's not too bad to do. Those masts and motors are on eBay all the time.

I want to do away with the power antenna. We get to much freezing rain here in Kansas City. I think that is what caused mine to quit working is due to it being frozen over and not realizg it when I turned the radio on.

Since this has to do with antennas, would a power antenna get better reception?

I don't think they would. I think they're really just for car washes and the 'coolness factor'.

Dan, changing to a static atenna would be simple. I'm sure they're easy to find too. Someone would love to trade you probably.

antennas

I've got a '92 E.B. with a '93 radio I picked up to replace the original one that died. Problem is that the AM band reception isn't as strong as it once was, especially around high tension lines. Could this be an antenna problem or something with the radio?

The antenna. I don't get too great reception either. I know it's my area because in our new Durango it's the same. I think this satellite radio stuff has something to do with it, or some sort of wave at least. I remember when stations came in crisp many years ago.

Re: antennas

Originally posted by fireftr
I've got a '92 E.B. with a '93 radio I picked up to replace the original one that died. Problem is that the AM band reception isn't as strong as it once was, especially around high tension lines. Could this be an antenna problem or something with the radio?

Sometimes the solder that connects the wire to the actual antenna base breaks, leaving a bad AM contact. Check there first.

Back